Awful Scarring

Hi, I had smx on 23 June with immediate reconstruction (Braxon). Had a large seroma and it took ages to settle. Then mid August it all swelled up again and was painful. Had a reaction to the Braxon mesh. Should have been put on steroids but consultant put me on antibiotics and didn’t keep an eye on me. Too late. Necrosis on the scar line, then it popped. Emergency removal the next day 19 August. Left with “envelope” of skin for future dermal sling implant or DIEP or flat. I want to go flat as I cannot go through all of that again. However when they took the dressing off it was as if I had been butchered. The skin has all tethered to the muscle wall at the back and has gone concave and all wrinkled and creased, looks absolutely horrendous. So so upset. The plastic surgeon who took the implant out as an emergency has still not seen it and I have been told I have to wait!!! Honestly it is so sad as I have no idea if this is ok and normal? Is it temporary? Will I be able to have a neat straight scar? Should I be having scar therapy? Should I be massaging it? I am left completely alone. Does anyone have any advice pleeeeese? X

1 Like

Hi jellykatbean,

Thanks for posting on our forum

We hope to be able to respond to you soon.

In the meantime our helpline is open from 9am tomorrow.

If you do phone our helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses service co-ordinator

Please read the disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Hi @jellykatbean

It’s sound like you’re in an awful situation. I hope you can get answers soon. My experience is different from yours. I had a mastectomy and got a seroma after which then got infected. Once that was all dealt with and cleared up my once lovely flat scar all became wrinkled and creased up, to the point I couldn’t get in and clean properly it was so tight.

I looked into getting myofascial release massage from a lady who specialised in mastectomy scars and she worked her magic on it. Don’t get me wrong it’s not perfect and flat like it first was but it’s massively improved. Importantly I can clean the area properly again now though. I would definitely recommend it if you can afford it once your surgeries are finished if you’re having anymore.

I hope you get to see the surgeon soon and get a scar you are more comfortable with. I’m happy to chat if you think it would help.

Wishing you all the best. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi jellykatbean,

Thank you for posting.

This must be a difficult time for you while you recover from these surgeries and it’s understandable you feel sad and upset.

We often hear from women who have uneven and tethered scarring. It can take many months for healing to take place, particularly when there has been necrosis of the tissue and the loss of reconstruction.

We would suggest you speak to your team about how it has healed and how you’re feeling while you’re waiting for an appointment to see the plastic surgeon. In the meantime, as @kazaroo has mentioned, scar therapy is beneficial for improving the way scars look over time. You could watch our YouTube video about this topic for further information and Restore scar therapy have a directory of therapists.

As you have mentioned, at this stage you are planning to stay flat and often your team will suggest this for some time to let your body heal following this experience. Flat friends can provide peer support from a vast community of people who may have had a similar experience to you. If you decided in the future to think about reconstruction, we would suggest keeping abreast charity who can support you through those decisions.

Our Someone Like Me service can also match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience. You can be in touch with your volunteer by phone or email and they can share their personal experiences to help answer your questions, offer support and listen to how you are feeling.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0800 138 6551 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to additional support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

Our number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties dial 18001 followed by our number and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. Please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturdays.

We are closed on English bank holidays.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes,

Helen

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.