Axillary Clearance?

hello everyone,


not sure if this is the right place for this post, i was diagnosed in June (screen detected 2nd mammo) had WLE and SNB beginning of July. Tumour was small at 11mm ER8 PR8 HER neg clear margins achieved but unexpected positive lymph node (1/3). 


Saw the oncologist last Friday and due to only 5% benefit of chemo and allergies and sensitivities to antibiotics and drugs, Chemo has been ruled out (phew! maybe not?). In its place I have been offered axillary clearance of remaining nodes and/or radiotherapy to the breast and armpit. Along with the hormone treatment, Zoladex, Aromasin and Zometa.


I have no idea what to do, the decision is mine to make and my gut instinct is to get the nodes out. The ultrasound prior to surgery showed no cancer in the nodes, so bit of a shock to be told there were ‘macrometasteses’?? I now feel like i have just been diagnosed again, with all the decisions surrounding this. 


Post operatively, I am healing well, still have armpit swelling which comes and goes as it pleases and a little discomfort still, so a little reluctant to have further surgery and the risk of lymphodema etc.


The oncologist is arranging for radiologist to be present at next appt, to explain rads procedure for pos node, but any opinions from you lovely ladies on here will be appreciated.





Hi bellaboo66, 

I am really sorry to hear you have to make this difficult decision and I am sure any users who have been through the same will be along to support soon.

You may want to look at our pages on radiotherapy and axillary clearance.

In the meantime please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk through any questions you may have and offer a friendly ear. the opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes,