Back Again

Hi everyone

I used this forum a couple of years ago when I was worried that I had breast cancer. It turned out that I have Duct Ectasia in my left breast and that no further treatment was required.

However, about 4 months ago, I found a lump in the same breast and kept thinking that it was just a duct that had got blocked and that it would sort itself out but it hasn’t and I went to see my GP yesterday and then today the breast clinic rang with an appointment for me next week.

Although I am really pleased that I will only have to wait a week for my appointment, I am very worried because I have read that in very rare cases Duct Ectasia can turn into cancer and wonder if that is why they are seeing me so quickly.

My lump is quite large, about the size of a walnut.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with Duct Ectasia and then been dx-ed with cancer later on?

Thanks for reading.

Hi catsmother21

I’m sorry to hear that you are having a pretty tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Sam

Thanks for your reply and for giving me the number for the support line. It is very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Cats

Hi Catsmother,

So sorry you have this anxiety once again. I have no experience of duct ectasia so cannot comment on that, but can maybe on the speed of your appointment. Your GP referral was almost certainly what is termed ‘urgent’ under NICE/SIGN and therefore you have to be seen with 2 weeks. Depending on the days clinics run, the day your GP sends the email, and how busy the clinics are, this can be anything from a couple of days to the full two weeks. Sometimes, too, there are cancellations. I would try not to read too much into the speed of the appointment, or to put two and two together and make a very large number. Hopefully your lump will be one of the 90% that are benign, but if not, the treatment on offer is absolutely excellent and you will be well looked after.

Good morning Revcat

Thank you so much for reassuring me about the speed of my appointment. I must admit it did really make me panic but feel calmer about it now after reading your reply.

When I was dx-ed with Duct Ectasia the consultant did say that I had a lot of small cysts around my nipple and I am hoping that it is one of them that has got bigger and nothing more serious.

I also remember that my mother had a cyst at about the same age as I am now - so fingers crossed that is all it is!!

The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I have been getting pain in the breast that has the lump in it - it’s not constant but comes and goes.

Do you get pain with a cyst or do you only get pain if it is cancer?

Hi catsmother21

I know Sam mentioned the Helpline earlier in this thread, but can’t help mentioning it again as it may help to talk over all these nagging worries you are having. The staff will be able to give you information and support.

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Thanks Janet for reminding me , I will give them a call.

Kind regards
Cats

Hi Cats

Good advice from Revcat. Re the pain you are getting, my understanding is that pain does not signify either one thing or another. There are ladies on here who’ve had pain and it’s not been cancer, had pain and it has been - and all other permutations. As Revcat says, try not to let your imagination run away with itself - most lumps aren’t cancer.

Other advice - don’t Google - you’ll scare yourself to death. You know the score at your local breast clinic - you’ve been through the drill before - but it might be nice to take someone for company and a good book for the waiting.

Good luck
Dx

Hi D

Thanks so much for your advice

My partner is coming with me and I seem to remember from the last time that I didn’t have too much waiting around to do but will take a book just in case!!

I have also spoken to the helpline and the lady was extremely helpful and said much the same as you that pain doesn’t necessarily mean cancer, it could be a cyst that is pressing on something to cause the pain. She also told me that Duct Ectasia is a benign condition that doesn’t turn into cancer. So, it could be that I do have a blocked duct or a cyst or it could be completely separate from that and be something more serious. She also told me that cysts are quite common for someone my age - I am 44.

You’re absolutely right about not googling! I did that when I was going through the worry last time and scared myself to death so have avoided that this time.

Thank you for the good luck wishes - I am keeping everything crossed. xx