Back hurting after radiotherapy

Hi everyone. I’m 2 weeks post radiotherapy treatment and I’ve had some weird back pain, that none of the people I’ve spoken to at the hospital so far have been able to explain, so I wondered if anyone else has had it or similar? The pain is around my bra line on the armpit side of my back (so not spinal), near the ribs and also a bit on my front below the boob. It’s painful to touch, maybe muscular and seems to be increasing in size. I had lumpectomy, level 1 node clearance and 15 RT sessions. I’ve been doing the exercises. I’m wondering if anyone else had any similar weird pain and what happened? Thanks so much.

2 Likes

I had some discomfort in a similar place and when doing Yoga some weeks after radiotherapy I pulled something down my side which hurt for quite some time . Despite doing the exercises rigourously I had obviously tightened up on that side and slightly round to my back - it’s still a bit tight on that side as compared to the other . My Somatic Yoga teacher who had undergone lumpectomy and radiotherapy also said that she had experienced muscular tightness and pain into her back as well . Neither of us had a concern about change in shape or size - probably best to contact your team or your GP to let them know and get some advice if there’s anything more that can be done for the symptoms you’re having . Xx

2 Likes

I had a mastecomy with immediate reconstruction and then 2 years later, radiotherapy, when the cancer came back in the skin of that breast. That was 2020 and I still get pain in my ribs in that area. Especially if I press them. Also sometimes when I exercise, or twist a certain way I get cramps in what I assume is my pectoral muscle (?). It comes and goes.

1 Like

Thanks so much. It seems this isn’t that unusual and something to seek further advice on. Luckily I have a physio appointment fairly soon. Thanks so much

1 Like

Hello @frazzle100

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but did you ever get to the bottom of your back pain?

I’m curious because what you describe is exactly like what I’m currently experiencing. My GP and oncologist don’t seem to know what it is.

I had a lumpectomy last September and have just finished 16 rounds of chemo. I’m due to start radiotherapy next week.

Any advice welcome please :blush:

Hello. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I hope you’re okay. I never got a definitive answer about the back pain, but the physio thought it was probably intercostal muscle strain - sometimes it would appear at the front, sometimes at the back ribs. I got some exercises. It tends to come and go, but at the moment it seems to have gone. But, I have some back shoulder blade pain and possibly lymphedema in breast, so not really out of the woods yet. Hope you’re okay.

@frazzle100 Thank you so much for replying - I really appreciate it.

That’s interesting what your physio said about intercostal muscle strain. I haven’t heard if it before but I’m going to look into it, as it sounds like this is possibly what I’m experiencing.

Thanks again, and I wish you all the best.

Hello mine was a side in 2019 was told fascia tissue . speak to cancer team excercises. Do yoh get like an electric shock feeling ?

1 Like

It’s more of a deep soreness. My skin hurts to touch it - even a light touch. It feels like a bad bruise would feel if you pressed it. There is no mark or anything visible. A recent X-ray didn’t show anything up either. It’s very strange.

1 Like