Back pain

Hi I have been having some back pain and I’m worried it could be cancer I previously had breast cancer. I don’t know if I am overthinking or if it’s a real problem. I’m very anxious 

Dear Amaya,

We are all here for you, having been in the same position as you, understandable you are concerned after having breast cancer, I know only to well the slightest pain gets me thinking and my mind blogging, I feel sure many other would second me on this.

Maybe, a chat with your GP would be a good idea, or if you are still under the hospital were you had your treatment the breast cancer nurse. I feel sure they will point you in the right direction.

Please don’t sit worrying. Wishing you well.

big hugs Tili ???

Hi Amaya 

Thanks for posting. 

As @Tili  suggests, nearly everyone who has been treated for cancer worries about it coming back (recurrence) and you’re not alone in being anxious about this. The uncertainty and fear of breast cancer returning is very real. At first, every ache or pain may frighten you, but most people find the anxiety lessens as the time goes on. 

Back pain is very common in people of all ages and has many possible causes. Most breast cancers don’t come back after treatment, but it is important to get any new symptoms checked out. So as Tili says, you can speak to your breast care nurse or GP. 

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can often be helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. You can be in touch with your volunteer by phone or email for them to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen. 

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0114 263 6490 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.   

Some people may benefit from talking therapy, such as counselling. You can speak to your GP or treatment team about this. Mindfulness can also be helpful. This information about overcoming anxiety may also be helpful. 

We also offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in.  They include face to face and online courses and events.  

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.** 

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes 

Val 

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.