Bad veins and cannulation

Hi guys

Just needed to vent after being bruised and punctured today…

Scan at The Christie was due at 1.30…by 3.15 I had had enough of them trying to cannulate me and subsequently cancelled my scan.

I am now the proud owner of 5 holes, as the nurses couldn’t cannulate me at all. I have a HUGE bruise forming on my left arm, just at the back of my elbow where she tried twice to get the cannula in - I -told- them this wouldn’t work, but I obviously challenged their nursing skills or something…

I got very upset, not just because of the pain of the needles, but because they wouldn’t let my husband in with me. I was also on full show of other patients, as I was on a bed in the waiting area, not in a side room. So there I was, crying and almost hyperventilating because nurses and patients etc were going past looking at me.

So I basically told them to stick it, as I was in no frame of mind to be put into an MRI machine for nearly an hour.

I’ve got to go back on 19 May for the scan, but they have put all over my notes that they are to do the scan without the contrast, as they don’t want me going through all that again. I’ve just realised that I can’t do the 19th, as I’ve organised a Ladies Day with other BC ladies (secondaries) that day - and to me, at this time, *that* is more important. I’m going to call them tomorrow and make them change it.

It just frustrates me. One minute they say I need this cannula for the contrast to be injected in whilst I’m in the MRI machine - the next, they say they can scan me without it.

Hi Poannie,
I have terrible problems with my veins after 5 years of chemo,scans and blood transfusions. I go to the chemo ward to be canulated they tend to do their best as they know they need to use my veins for ongoing treatment. I hope it was not the same person who tried 5 times I was told they are only allowed 2 attempts.
Have a good time when you all meet up, as I am from Manchester if I had been visiting I would have loved to have joined you.
Love Debsxxx

Poannie dear – so sorry to hear about your horrid experience at Christie’s. Like Debs, I only let chemo nurses go for my veins these days, after the girls in the blood room turned me into a pin cushion a couple of years ago when my lymphoedema arm went out of bounds for them. I’m sure you’ll have a better experience at the next appointment (yes, cupcakes & tea ARE more important!).
Marilyn x

Hi poannie,
same here - it took over an hour, two nurses and finally a Consultant to get the contrast in me GRRRRRRRRRR they hate it when you tell them it wont work dont they? but they still carry on sticking those needles into your empty veins in the hope of striking gold!! Next time I will ask for the Consultant first as he was way more understanding than the nurses and did eventually get a vein which hadnt collapsed.

Thank you for the comments ladies - I appreciate them!

I wasn’t aware that they had a 2 puncture limit?

I am now paranoid that I am going to develop lymphodoema in my arm, due to the jabbing and delving by the nurse. Marilf - do you have any tips for drainage massage etc? I’ve got my hubby to use E45 cream and gently stroke my arm from under my armpit down to my wrist and back up again - is this right?

J xx

I can sympathise with you as have carp veins and nurses do seem to be insulted if you suggest they wont manage it.I have 9 days ago had an operation and my arm and feet are still bruised!Think this bit is worse than the chemo-almost.Think all massage is in upward direction only -check first-dont worry too much -its risk of infection that gives you most problems -by nessecity have had several bloods done in arm with lymphodema and just sprayed site with dettol and then covered for couple days and been fine.My arm is no worse after 9 days ago having rod plate and screws inserted for stabilizing due to my bone secondaries so try not to worry yourself too much.
sharon

I meant to say they use the pink needle which is thicker so ask for a blue one and then they have to release the die at a slower pace. Sorry if you already knew this did not mean to sound patronising.
Love Debsxxx

I had a CT scan last night and the nurse (who knows me pretty well) took 20 minutes to get a cannula into me and managed on 2nd attempt. They used a blue needle. They can do the scan without the contrast but the images will not be as good.

Jenny
x

I had similar problems after having to ravel for 2.5hrs to get scan, was told it would be re-arranged and I could see an anethetist first as are best at getting cannula in - I was told couldnt have it without the dye - good luck.

p.s. the masage is starting at the top with upward strokes down as far as the elbow then starting with the hands up to the elbow - if that makes sense!
x

Hi Poannie – for info on lymphoedema massage, look in the “Lymphoedema” section on these boards – I’ve just bumped a thread I hope you’ll find useful, called “My lymphoedema training - part 3” – full of info about massage.

See you soon!
Marilyn x

Hi Poannie

What an abysmal experience for you. Nurses seem to vary enormously in their competence to cannulate people.

Furthermore, not everyone turning up for a scan has veins in the best of nick; there should be some contingency arrangements.

The last scan I had, the nurse put a baby’s cannula into my foot (I’ve got lymphoedema in both arms), which worked like a dream. They need to think outside the box a bit more with these issues, I feel.

I’ve had an MRI without dye before (nurse incapable of cannulating feet) with satisfactory results, so yes, it can be done. As Jenny says, the dye just makes it easier for them to read the image.

Try not to worry too much about developing lymphoedema as a result of your maltreatment the other day - the odds are in your favour, I think. Puncturing the skin doesn’t mean you will definitely develop it - it’s more likely that you won’t. It’s just something to be avoided whenever possible, as a sensible precaution.

X to all

S

Hi poannie,

Sorry about all the goes they had at trying to get a vein and that it had to be done with all those people trailing past etc - it’s a nightmare, isn’t it ?

I haven’t had an MRI but need bone scans for bone mets and also have a drip once a month for bones. My veins were always bad even before the start of all this so it wasn’t a great starting point ! Had 8 chemo doses first with their accompanying blood tests but they always got those done in my left arm. Then had mx and full anc so have to use my right side now. Oncology nurses are great and I now go to them to get cannulated for the bone scan first. I heard about this 2 go thing by accident when I had scan last year - 1st attempt in wrist but vein burst and then went to get doc who tried foot but that was as bad so he stopped there and we sorted the onc nurses doing it via the oncologist. My next scan is 1st June so we’ve already sorted a visit to onc first ! By the way, they use the smaller needles on me as well and a hot pack and/or run my hand under the hot water for good measure. Usually the vein they use is one on the inside of my wrist (honestly nowhere near as bad as it sounds!).

As far as the massage with the cream goes, it should be in upward movements like lisaf says. My physio said it is a bit like a traffic jam - you have to get the start of it moved out of the way first, then the next bit of traffic, then the furthest away bit. The lymph nodes are the front and in the case of the arm, the wrist is the end of the ‘jam’. She explained it better but I thought it was a very good way of describing it !

Hope all goes better next time.

I completely agree with taffy…I also can sympathise with you as have carp veins and nurses do seem to be insulted if you suggest they wont manage it.I have 13 days ago had an operation and my arm and feet are still bruised!Think this bit is worse than the chemo-almost.Think all massage is in upward direction only -check first-dont worry too much -its risk of infection that gives you most problems -by nessecity have had several bloods done in arm with lymphodema and just sprayed site with dettol and then covered for couple days and been fine.My feet is no worse after 13 days ago having rod plate and screws inserted for stabilizing due to my bone secondaries so try not to worry yourself too much.

Hello

I don’t put up with any of the medical profession’s “nonsense” anymore. I TELL them to leave my arms alone and use my feet and so far, touch wood, this has worked.

You do not need to be put through this unnecessary distress, fight your corner, take someone with you if need be but dig your heels in!

Reg.

Before insertion of my brand new portacath, I was incredibly dificult to canulate, sometimes they would get an ultra sound machine to find a vein. However i always found the best Dr’s or nurses were ones who had done their paediatric rotation. I have had it in my feet, but i nearly hit the roof, this for me anyway was incredibly painful,.

My veins are crap too. I thought it was because I had fat arms, but apparently it has nothing to do with it. The nurses I think are the most incompetent are those who get the needle in the arm and then wiggle it around until they hit a vein. I now insist on a baby needle every time.

I have had cannulation in my feet, but found these were equally bad and boy it was painful. The last time they tried it I was having a general anaesthetic and they eventually gave me gas to put me out so they could get the cannula in without me jumping off the bed in pain. When I woke up the cannula was in my arm because they had had so much difficulty.

I had my port taken out because I kept getting infections and eventually we worked out that I was allergic to the stiches that they had put in to anchor it. I guess I may need another port at some time, but for now I see cannulation as the best option because I got so fed up with the infections.

I haven’t heard of them using ultrasound to find a vein, but it seems like an excellent idea. I will ask them at the Marsden on Tuesday whether they ever use it on the IV unit.

Deirdre