Be prepared

I’m new to this forum and it’s been interesting to find this. I’ve never gone on anything like this before. I found a small lump at the end of January and after seeing the GP was referred quickly! Following a lot of mammogram, ultra sound and what felt about 8-10 biopsies- I was called back for the results. Up to this point I felt confident I was ok but took my hubby with me. Then reality hit - 15mm cancer HER2 + and secondary DCIS 29mm and whilst I was given the choice of lumpectomy the mastectomy word was mentioned. Talk about numb. After a week of research, 2nd opinion to hear their thoughts, I’m now booked for mastectomy and reconstruction in 3 weeks. Trying to stay covid free and prepare for the day taking baby steps. I’ve got a little cushion, 2 drains (!!!), bra and whilst it feels like it’s someone else, I am not looking forward to all this especially the sentinel node stuff. Hate needles but going to have to get used to it. Concerned won’t be as able to sleep as normally lay on my side with my arm under my pillow. What recommendations please. Can’t think about the chemo yet…. Baby steps. Thank you.

4 Likes

Hi, I found it all to feel like a dream at the start but as the time goes by, you’ll come to accept it bit by bit. I had a lumpectomy and full node clearance a year ago. I always slept on my side but for a few weeks following op, I couldn’t. But I managed by using pillows to prop up my arm and surprisingly slept ok. So don’t worry too much about that. You’ll have loads of questions so use this forum as often as u need. I’ve found it so helpful just asking people who have been through something similar xxx

1 Like

Hi Colly. After a BC diagnosis , life feels very surreal. I’m a right side sleeper , hsve BC in right breast .
I had a lumpectomy last Friday with SNB .
I’ve just taken paracetamol.
I ordered a V pillow , so I now sleep slightly propped up on that .
If you have lymph removal , you need to keep your arm elevated , so I turn a normal pillow on its side to rest it on.
I didn’t sleep first night after op, might have been anaesthetic.
But I’m sleeping now, luckily seem to wake up around the right time to take a painkiller !

1 Like

Thank you. Keep going - sounds like you are doing well. Look after you. Wishing you well and thanks for the advice x

1 Like

Thank you. Glad you are doing well and thanks for the information. Take care.

Hi lovely

Sorry you are here but baby steps is s great plan as it can be overwhelming and crush you at times and that ok

Write down anything, ask anything, take someone with you every time

Ask for pain relief options

You should get some exercises to do

You should have a breast team to ask anything of

If you are near a Maggie centre pop in and see them

You can search key words on here for hints, tips, advice and of course the breast nurses are here too,

Good luck, stay focused on one day at a time xx

1 Like

Thank you Curlywurly :heart:

Thank you Moobloo. Take care too x

Welcome to the forum @collywobbles

I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I’m glad you’ve reached out here. The forum is full of kind people like those who have already replied to you and I hope you find the support you are looking for.

Please know that our nurses are here for you any time, here on the forum on the Ask our Nurses your questions or over the phone 0808 800 6000.

We’re thinking of you,
Lucy

1 Like

Thanks LucyJ. Feels surreal. Loads of questions. Thanks for your advice. Best wishes x

1 Like

Hi, all I will say is everyone’s cancer journey is different, from diagnosis to side effects from treatment.
But all the people on here are the same, helpful and kind and happy to help with any questions and concerns that you have.
So just ask or vent when ever you need us.
I wish you luck on your journey.xx

1 Like

Thank you.

I am on a very similar path having a mastectomy and lymph clearance in 3 weeks time. I am worried about sleeping especially in hospital. I have a V pillow which I think will help. It all feels a bit surreal at the moment but no doubt will soon come round. I have had a very strange birthday today, up one minute and down the next but am very grateful for the support of friends and family. Hope it goes well for you.xx

Hi @photogirl
Our journey sounds similar. Sleeping is worrying me too and just ordered my v pillow.
I am sorry hat your birthday has been strange - if you are anything like me at the moment I feel like I’m in a bubble. Friends and family are great - sometimes I just stop and think and other times I just busy myself - the weather defo doesn’t help as I can’t get outside so much. I had holiday this week from work and nice to enjoy the time out but being careful and trying to not be in crowds so not to get Covid - all a bit challenging. I’m sure you’re the same. I hope all goes well for you in 3 weeks - we can compare notes on the other side. Stay strong …. Keep going forward and enjoy your weekend. Best wishes x

My mum’s friend who had breast cancer sent me one of those V-shaped pillows. It is the best thing. I had a mastectomy in January and I still use it.

You won’t sleep on your side at the start but more recently I’ve started to but raise my arm onto a cushion.

1 Like

Thanks @hobsonchoice - I have ordered one! Best wishes to you and hope you are doing well x

I’m fine. Recovering well but no ‘walk in the park’ so I feel for you xx

Sending hugs @hobsonchoice x

Hi I had a mastectomy, 29 lymph nodes removed and DIEP flap reconstruction last December.
Always slept on my side before but found a wedge cushion very helpful for back sleeping. Wasn’t prepared for the post op pain to last so long - my belly area was very painful for 8 weeks (the recovery times on Google were very optimistic!!) but it is all doable and you are stronger than you think. Take it one step at a time otherwise it is easy to get overwhelmed.
I thought I had a needle phobia but it’s gone away after 28 days daily injecting myself with blood thinners into my thigh post-op. You can do anything!! I wish you all the very best with your op and recovery xx

1 Like

Thanks @badger81 you are right. I’m at home day 3 - sleeping with a V pillow has been easier than expected and feel decidedly good. NHS amazing. Every person. Feel very thankful. Noticed a bit of swelling tonight and starting to ache slightly. Hoping it’s ok. Will check it tomorrow. It’s amazing how much we can do! 4 days to hopefully get rid of the drain. Off for a short walk tomorrow - it’s been a bit chilly but will wrap up tomorrow. Hope you’re doing well. Best wishes and thanks. X