Been to clinic - cysts and lesion

Hi all

This is my first posting so apologies if I get it wrong!

After seeing GP last week was referred urgently about a small hard gritty lump in right breast as I hvae a strong family history of BC (great grandmother had BC double mastectomy, gran had cells removed and Mum had a single Mastectomy, been clear for 10 years now. :)). Glad to say my ultrasound came back clear for BC but was told my breast tissue is changing, that I have two small cysts and a skin lesion just under the skin which was the lump i felt. I’m 31.

No treatment yet, have appt for 6 months time.

My questions are, really :

1. I know my family history is strong and this means the cysts may change into something more serious - how common is this?
  2. The pill - the clinic wants me to see my GP re: other contraceptive methods - is the pill a bad idea after breast complications? Ive been on it quite some time…
  3. Any one else had this experience? Am so glad I’m all clear at present, but will they need to keep seeing me to check? I kind of hope they will…

Thanks for your time, in advance!

Kat. x

Dear Kat

Welcome to the forums, I am sure you will recieve valuable support and information from the other users very soon. In addition, you may find some of our publications useful to read to help answer some of the queries you have. Breast Cancer Care have published a factsheet about breast cysts and also a factsheet about family history which you may find helpful. You can read these via the following links or by contacting our helpline for copies to be sent out to you:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/cysts_0.pdf

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/familial_breast_cancer_updated_may_06_0.pdf

The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm on 0808 800 6000 and the helpliners can offer you further information and support, if you have any further concerns please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards

Lucy
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care