Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy

Hi everyone. I was booked in for a bilateral oophorectomy yesterday but postponed it due to a week’s hospital stay with a high temperature a week after a Kadcyla cycle. I’m thinking of postponing surgery till after Kadcyla finishes at the beginning of September now and after my son’s graduation, so I don’t have to pause Kadcyla. The only reason I was doing it over the Summer is my children will be back from uni so I’ll have help. I’m just wondering what other people’s experiences of the surgery are? What your capabilities were after the operation, how much help you needed, what you were able to do and not do? I have good friends around me and my children will be able to come back at the weekend, but will that be enough in the first few days/weeks?
I’ll be having 4 weekly Zoladex injections in the meantime to suppress oestrogen which hopefully will be enough.
Best wishes to everyone.xx

Hello,
I had a bilateral Salpingo oopherectomy in February and honestly it felt like a walk in the park compared to my previous mastectomy.

I was mobile immediately afterwards and had only mild discomfort for the first few weeks.
I was able to go back to normal after 2 weeks and during those first 2 weeks, it wasn’t bad at all. The worst symptom was just tiredness but after a few weeks, that improved too.

Biggest advise I would give you is to get some elastic waisted trousers / skirts as the stomach bloats quite a bit straight after surgery. It takes a few weeks to dissipate. No one told me this and the jeans I wore on surgery day couldn’t button up at all afterwards (luckily I had a long top on).

All the best with your surgery!
Carrott x

3 Likes

I had this exact op in January 2022. I agree with Carrott that compared to a mastectomy recovery was very quick. For the first few days, you will need to lie down a lot but then you can start going very gentle walks. During the first few days, I was able to potter around the house though. I can’t remember exactly how long it was until I was fully recovered but probably around two weeks. I am very glad I had the op and I didn’t suffer any increase in menopausal symptoms although I had been warned I might, as I now realise I went through menopause during chemo the previous year.

1 Like

Thank you @Carrott and @hopeful1974 for replying to my post and telling me your experiences of the oophorectomy surgery. It’s helping me make a decision about when to have surgery. I think I’m going to postpone surgery until October, after I’ve had my last cycle of Kadcyla and attended my son’s graduation at the end of September. I think I’ll be able to cope as long as I’m careful.
Hope you’re both doing okay and have recovered well from all your treatments.
Best wishes.
Helen.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, I just wanted to say how helpful it has been to read a couple of positive stories on the bilateral salipingo oopherectomy. Wow that’s a mouthful to say haha

I have my operation today and I am dreading it. Ive had 3 months of zoladex injections and tamoxifen so I’m already experiencing menopause symptoms. I could really do with those not getting worse!? I am irrationally worried I will wake up after the op and feel instantly different. Its ridiculous really because my ovaries have already been shut down so it shouldnt be too much of a shock to my poor body.

If anyone else has some encouraging words on this operation and the recovery I’m all ears :slight_smile: :heart:

1 Like

Good luck foxgem! I haven’t been through this yet, but it’s on the list. I hope you recover very quickly!

1 Like

Recovery is much longer than I expected 4-6 weeks! Absolutely no lifting, driving or sexy time for 4 weeks. This might be because they used clips instead of stitches. These get taken out after 7 days.

Its going to be a real pain not being able to drive anywhere with 2 teenagers and a husband to taxi about haha so thank god for food deliveries nowdays.

I knew it was going to be painful the first few days and it really is. I can get myself up and down ok and I can crouch down but it’s very tender. Sitting still it feels like bad period cramps which I can cope with. It’s worth noting I turned down the big painkillers and will just use paracetamol/ibuprofen because the thought of more constipation was an absolute no. I’d rather have the pain now than later on the toilet.

They’ve given me 7 days of blood thinning injections :sob: after the 40 filgrastim I was not impressed but they are a smaller needle and we can do them in my thigh which was a little easier.

So here’s to 4 weeks of walking and resting

Goodness @foxgem just followed your thread. Id never even heard of such a complicated named procedure.

I just wanted to send you my love and hugs. :heart::people_hugging::bouquet:You are so inspirational with everything you have gone through.

Obviously you will have low days, your body will naturally struggle with recovering initially. But those days and moments are to be expected. Just have a bundle of “treat bags” ready for you to delve into on garbage days. Then watch a good film, cuddled up in loads of nice blankets, and give yourself loads of TLC.

You are like me with strong pain killers. I dont see any benefit from them when they create so many side effects. Rest and other meds you mentioned are much better. Especially rest.

You take care. Will be thinking of you as you recover. :heart::heart::heart::people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging::bouquet::bouquet::bouquet::sunflower::sunflower:

1 Like

Thank you @poppy261 its so nice to read such words of encouragement. It has been a long uncomfortable day. 10/10 do not recommend abdominal surgery after a bilateral mastectomy :rofl: I just keep repeating it’s not forever it’s just for now. Tomorrow will be better. This too shall pass :heart:

2 Likes

You are one strong lady @foxgem Your family must be so proud of you …. Even though they may keep that quiet :joy::wink::heart::heart::heart:

Hope you get a good nights sleep.:person_in_bed::sleeping_face: If not, have some films lined up to at least give you something relaxing to do. Thats my go to that often results in me falling asleep half way through a film..:joy::heart::heart::heart::people_hugging::people_hugging::bouquet:

1 Like

Jeez! I didn’t realise recovery was so long. Was yours done with keyhole surgery? I imagine so. I had it in my head that this would be a walk in the park after the dmx. Oh well, it’s good to know what to expect. Take care xxx

1 Like

I was very shocked when they told me because I read elsewhere online it would be a walk in the park also! Im hoping the 4 weeks is just a rough guideline. I figure if I can rest and recover really well the first week or 2 it might mean a quicker recovery over all.

Yes keyhole surgery. 4 small incisions. I am crazy bloated from the gas they use to pump you up with. The pain has been managable with just paracetamol and ibuprofen

1 Like

Hi @foxgem

I was wondering how you are getting on after the oopherectomy? I am going in next Friday for my procedure. The gynae team have sprung it on me as it was only arranged yesterday. The breast care team are happy that I get it before my radio starts on the 3rd. I have my sister visiting from Australia for October, so I am hoping it won’t curtail me too much!!

1 Like

Hello @corriem I’m just over 3 weeks now and pretty much fully recovered. I started driving after 2 weeks because I had no pain and could safely turn around and do an emergency stop etc.

The first 5-6 days I was a lot more uncomfortable than I expected. The bloating was awful because it couldn’t be burped or let out like normal :sweat_smile: it was just a waiting game for it going down. Honestly I did feel very fragile and uncomfortable at first. Sneezing was absolutely terrifying! and no one was allowed to make me laugh because it hurt. But by day 8, I was feeling ok enough to get to my college course. I got there via a taxi and even managed the 4 flights of stairs to the class. I think once you start healing it’s a very quick recovery.

Slow and steady is key in those first few days though. And once the pain starts to go, keep to the no lifting etc for a while. I only started vacuuming again this week.

I am sure you will still be good company for your sister, just a little slower getting up and down. Wish you all the best :heart:

1 Like

Thank you. I’m glad to hear you are getting on well and that you are getting back to doing normal stuff. Not looking forward to the bloating/gas! Take care xx

1 Like