Biopsy results appointment letter

Hi everyone,
I had my recall mammogram and biopsies the afternoon of Monday 30th October. The radiologist said I had a well defined area she tried to drain to see if it was a cyst but it wouldn’t drain. So mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsies later, she told me she wasn’t overly concerned but I know obviously the biopsies will give a definite picture.
Today, 4th November, I’ve had my letter to attend my results clinic on 13th November. This seems really quick and means my results have been looked at by pathology and MDT in just a couple of days.
Is this be normal? Just concerned they have been seen so quickly and sent a letter out so soon.
Trying to stay positive. :crossed_fingers:t2::pray:t2: x

Just to say that they may only have the pathology result at the moment. My appointment with the surgeon started late as he was still in the MDT meeting at the appointment time

Hi scientistamafier,
I shall stay positive but maybe if the two are separate appointments, it might not be the outcome I pray for. The breast care nurse told me on the day of my biopsies, (which was the Monday) that the MDT meet on a Thursday. My letter was posted out that night. I shall keep as positive as I can. Not too long to wait. :pray:t2: x

Hi
I had biopsies taken on 2 separate occasions and was given my appointment letter before I left with the proviso that they would let me know if the results weren’t available on the appointment day. Both appointments were within 10 days with the MDT meeting earlier in the day of the appointment. I think that initial biopsy results come back fairly quickly. I had my appointment with the surgeon 5 days after my 2nd biopsy results.

The sooner you get your results the sooner your mind will be put at rest or you will know what you are dealing with and treatment begun. We are all different but I found the not knowing much harder.
Good luck.

1 Like

Hi @lou908

Biopsy results take a few days to come back as a rule unless they put a rush on them - I had results / appointment 1 week after biopsies. It doesn’t mean that they will have looked at your results as yet - though it’s possible.

A 2 week appointment to discuss results is a pretty standard thing . Have you checked the date at the top of the letter? When it’s known that there will be a need to discuss results it’s quite common for those to be made automatically - the admin staff have a list of follow up appointments to make from every clinic. They may send them out even before results are available .

Your worry is quite understandable but try not to read too much into this

With love
Joanne. X

1 Like

Hi there. I would guess they haven’t got your results yet and that they have booked the appointment provisionally. I was booked in immediately for an appointment a week after biopsy so there was no way they knew then…ended up getting appointment moved forward 24 hours so was only 6 days later. 9 days sounds fairly standard whatever the outcome. I honestly wouldn’t read anything into it (although obviously that is far easier said than done!). Xxx

1 Like

I had both core needle biopsies done at the same recall appointment along with ultrasound and mammograms.
I guess I just thought that the MDT would meet and discuss everything before I would be sent a results appointment letter. Was just concerned when it was back so soon. My letter arrived today and my appointment is a week Monday, 13th. x

Thank you Holly.
At least I have a results appointment through now so one step closer. :pray:t2:
Do they tell you your results and what treatment is needed (if it is needed) at your results clinic appointment? Or do you have to wait again? I think in all this the waiting is so hard. I try to stay positive and the advice I have had on these forums is amazing. xx

Hi JoanneN,
Yes, the date at the top of the letter says 2nd November. My appointment is for 13th November and I had my biopsies on the 30th October.
My husband said the breast nurse said that the MDT meet on a Thursday. Glad I took him with me as I don’t remember that bit. :rofl: I do remember her saying that it can take about 3 weeks and I’ll get a results appointment via letter, which I think was when concern set in when it arrived today. xx

1 Like

Hi
When I was going through it everything was done on a 2 week basis.

2 weeks after Biopsy had meeting to get results and be told treatment plan. Op was 2 weeks later, results 2 weeks after that, next op 2 weeks later etc etc

So what you have seems normal to me

1 Like

Hi willowherb,
Thank you for this. I know everyone is different and one size definitely doesn’t fit all, but it is good to hear what is normal and what isn’t for the results.
It sounds like you had the best care. xx

Hi lou908

YEs I think I did and as you say, one size does not fit all. Thing is though, when you come on here you realise just HOW different treatment is for all the variations of this cursed illness.

Good luck with everything xxx

1 Like

Thank you willowherb.
You are certainly right there. This forum gives you the reassurance that you aren’t on your own too and it doesn’t matter how big or small your worries or question are. xxx

Hi again Lou
I had 2 biopsy sites. The first turned out to be a fibroadenoma but they wanted to investigate another site so had to return when the first site had healed.
On both occasions the radiologist explained the result and showed me the images. I was then taken into another room where the breast care nurse explained again in more detail, answered my questions and gave me leaflets from Breast Cancer care. The second turned out to be an invasive ductal cancer so she explained the possible next steps and details about the hospital care.
They were not overconcerned about the second area thinking it could be scar tissue from previous surgeries for pre cancerous lumps. Although I did have my doubts I think I had convinced myself that the results would be ok so it came as a shock. In hindsight, for me, I wish I had feared the worst but hoped for the best.
I had an appointment with the surgeon 5 days later when the treatment plan was explained. I had surgery 2 weeks ago but have to wait 5-6 weeks for the results due to a shortage of lab staff. My appointed breast cancer nurse is available on the phone if I need anything.
If possible, take someone with you for the results, preferable someone who has been through something similar. Whatever the result you will not remember what you are told.
I hope that your results come back as nothing to worry about. On the positive side it sounds like whatever it is it is in the very early stages. Thinking of you. x

1 Like

Hi Holly,
With all you are going through at the moment, it sounds like they are really on it and giving you the best care. Trying to stay positive is so hard when you are going through something you have no control over. The not knowing, the anxiety and the wait don’t help. I think I am trying to have an open mind about it all. But that little bit of anxiety keeps popping up. Send you lots of positive vibes too. xx

Hi lou908

Thanks for posting.

Waiting for biopsy results can be a very anxious time and it’s understandable you are trying to stay positive. Often the speed of the appointments offered reflects the processes that are in place in your clinic, whereby appointments are made when a biopsy has been taken.

This means you don’t have to wait too long for your appointment once the results are ready. As @holly.52 , @joanneN and @blue80 say the speed of your appointment doesn’t necessarily mean you should be more concerned about your results.

There is more information here on understanding your biopsy results which might be helpful.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Louise

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.