Blood test and results

Hi all,

I found a lump in my arm pit last week. Dr referred me to breast clinic and next day appointment for urgent blood tests. (2 vials of blood were taken) Blood tests are back, the receptionist couldn’t tell me what they were but said Dr wants to do further blood tests, so I’m going back on Friday. Haven’t had my Breast Clinic apt yet. 

what would they have been testing for in my bloods and why would they need further tests? 

The wait, worry and not knowing is driving me mad. 

thanks! 

Hi

The waiting seems interminable so thank god for the NHS promise of 2 weeks between referral and appointment. Like you though, my bc experience began in the summer and NHS staff do take summer breaks so there can be further delays. I decided to go private to avoid all this - same problem! Labs can only work so fast.

You could ring your GP and ask but blood tests can be looking for so many things. Since it is your GP, it may well be general health checks like vit D and calcium levels but I doubt they’d be looking for anything sinister - that’s the hospital’s job.

I learnt a very important lesson. You have to trust your team. If you do have breast cancer, there isn’t much you can do to change the course of events so wondering why, what iffing, second-guessing, they are all a waste of precious energy and they destroy your peace of mind. Acceptance was the key for me.

Meantime, instead of wondering why, ring and ask your GP. If you’ve not heard from the hospital after 7 days, ring and find out what’s happening. Work on your resilience - mindfulness, yoga, running, meditation - whatever works for you. But do it systematically and seriously if you want a positive result. Diaphragmatic breathing is a really good asset (try YouTube). I still do a daily meditation (sometimes nap!) with Progressive Hypnosis on YouTube. I started with Cure Anxiety and moved on to others that seemed to suit my need.

BUT remember one thing, if nothing else. You don’t have breast cancer until your consultant tells you. There can be many explanations, hence your GP doing preparatory/elimination blood tests. Here’s hoping… Take care,

Jan x

The NHS has its timelines, but sometimes, delays happen. It’s impressive you explored private options, although labs can only move so quickly.

Your advice about reaching out to the GP for clarification is spot on. Often, blood tests cover various health checks, not just specific concerns. Trusting your medical team and focusing on resilience through mindfulness, yoga, or meditation is valuable. Diaphragmatic breathing and daily meditation can indeed be calming. Thanks for sharing those tips!

For those curious about point-of-care testing versus traditional lab testing, this article at POCT vs. Traditional Laboratory Testing: Pros and Cons offers a great breakdown of their pros and cons. It’s essential to stay informed and take care of yourself while waiting for medical updates.