Bra advice following lumpectomy

Hello Sunshine, I had a lumpectomy last year and and then a 2nd op as margins weren’t clear, but the hospital actually provided me with a super comfy, front fastening bra. Perhaps ask if they’ll provide you with one to be going on with. Hopefully they can. In anticipation of what was ahead, I bought a couple from M&S before surgery as others have recommended here but in all honesty,I prefer the hospital option. The brand is Amoena and can buy online. I’m able to wear regular bras now too, so maybe see how you go. Wishing you all the best. :hugs:

1 Like

Had my lumpectomy yesterday. Generally feeling good but a bit swollen. I bought some front fastening bras which seem okay but have popped on a zip fastening Nike sports bra this morning. I usually wear this for running (so it clamps those boobies in nice and securely!) and feel so much better. When BCNs called this morning to check in they said the compression, so long as comfortable, is also good for swelling. x

Also, I took front fastening pyjamas to the hospital and didn’t even put them on! Straight from clothes into hospital gown and dressing gown and then back into clothes to go home.

Hope everything goes well for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes definately front opening and I used the sports bras because they are tight & keep the swelling down. I used a good ordinary M&S bra thinking that would give me enough support & ended up being aspirated twice. Didn’t hurt, felt much relief, but if I had worn the sports bra I ended up with, wouldn’t have had the problem.

1 Like

I’ve done well with the M+S front fastening hook up bra and have some of their other post - op ones as well . Their Flexi fit crop tops are soft and comfy as well and can be worn one on top of another or to sleep in .The other company I’ve bought from is Anita who also make Nicola Jane and are available at Eloise.co.uk. At the end of the day we are all built differently and what works for one will not work for another. It about getting the right amount of support and compression while being able to be comfortable . For me the compression was important as I tend to bruise easily - and I didn’t .

Remember that any bra can be fastened and stepped into and pulled up the body so if you find one that feels right but doesn’t fasten at the front then don’t worry too much. I always step into my crop tops as well .My choice was limited because of a broad back and big shoulders not many places go up to 42/44 . I’m mainly still wearing my post - surgery bras as they are much more supportive and comfy than all my old ones which have gone to charity .

Hop you find something that works for you. Xx

1 Like

I’m 3 weeks post lumpectomy , FF boobs . I was told to wear a sports bra during the day a week after op . I wore my post op bras at night . Seen physio today who said wear the sports bra all the time , even in bed . You need compression to keep everything in place . I suppose it depends on the size of your boobs :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi
I have to say I recently discovered Snag bras online and they are perfect post surgery. No wires as advised, wide band, comfortable, good support. Can’t recommend them enough. And I don’t even work for them! Good luck xx

1 Like

Hi blue80, thanks for your reassurance regarding the op :heart:

1 Like

Hi willowherb,
I think my left boob will have a scar around my nipple area, not sure about the right one. So good point about seams.

Hi Sleepseeker,
I’ll certainly ask if they’ll provide me with one, worth a try :slight_smile:

Thanks x

Hi southwest123, I’m glad you’re doing ok following your lumpectomy.

Thanks for your advice regarding bras. I’ve got front fastening pyjamas to take in, but I doubt I’ll need them either,

Hi CLC, I’ll definitely get a sports bra then.

1 Like

Hi JoanneN, thank you for your advice.

I’ve no doubt I’ll end up with a large selection of various types and brands :slight_smile:

Hi klf,
I’m sure I’ll be advised, but it’s good to hear what other women use.
Thanks x

1 Like

Thanks pinko, I’ll have to check them out x

I used mine for 1st few weeks . And button up shirts for the day . It’s surprising how restricted your arm is . 3.5 weeks later and mine feels pretty normal

1 Like

I meant to say good luck too, but was on my phone and it was hard to see it all! I was terrified but my lumpectomy and lymphnode removal went so smoothly, everyone was lovely and I recovered fine. Hope you are the same. x

2 Likes

Thanks pinko, that’s very reasurring to know x

I found the M & S Flexifit bra range really good - front fastening and so soft you can sleep in them. I still wear them now! Also M & S crop tops x

Also this Flexifit™ Non Wired Crop Top | Body by M&S | M&S