Bra help please 🙂

So, bit of background. I had a lumpectomy back in March 23, I’ve never been big breasted so although that breast is now my smaller one, rather than my bigger one - I was never worried about having any reconstruction done on it. I have also gone over a year now just being slightly lopsided. I wear baggy t shirts at work and I dont think it massively shows. Obviously if I wear anything slightly tight fitting, it really shows! So I decided to book a bra fitting with a company that does post op bras and breast forms. Now, I’ve always said I was an A cup. The woman instantly without measuring, just by eye said I was a 36B she picked one up and put it on me, it did feel lovely and I’d have to agree my right boob seemed to fit in the cup lovely. She picked up a simple breastform/shaper and placed it in the pocket for the left breast. I agreed it was all very comfortable and seemed to fit well. She recommended a couple of their bras. I went home and ordered a couple of bras, breastforms and a swimming cossie. Now I hadn’t realised the bra she’d recommended wasn’t cotton, so ordered another type in cotton. I really really like the bra - except there’s like a seam half way across the cup and even with the breastform in the left pocket, well that one still seems to have a bit of a ruffle in it. I put my work t shirt on and you could clearly see this like line going across both my breasts. Do you think I’m over thinking it? I bought a 36A in this bra to see if it would help but it’s still the same, although I do think this one feels more secure and feel I am an A cup, with the B cup I have to have the straps done up on their tightest otherwise it all seems a bit loose.
Sorry for the long post, I have waffled on a bit :sweat_smile: I feel like I keep spending money on stuff and it’s not right. The bras are comfy, I’m just so self conscious and don’t want to look like a tit - 'scuse the pun!

3 Likes

Dear sprout,

How you look is so important to you, so maybe give the shop a call explaining how you are feeling, hopefully they will rectify the problem, with a replacement.

Hopefully you will be sorted out very soon.

Health and happiness going forward

Hugs Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

2 Likes

Hi Sprout78,

As Tili says, you need to feel comfortable and confident in what you wear so don’t settle for something that you don’t feel is quite right.

It is interesting though that when I was younger most underwear would show through clothing, T shirt bras and ‘no VPL’ knickers didn’t exist! Madonna made a fashion of showing off her bra, albeit a lace one :joy: I do think we have become conditioned to certain things / images of how we should look and I for one have fallen for that.

Another thought, if you have a bra on the tightest setting now, once it starts to give with wear you have nowhere to go with it if that makes sense.

I hope you find something that you are comfortable with x

3 Likes

Thankyou, yes maybe I should give them a call x

1 Like

Yes, I had thought that about the settings. At the fitting I didn’t even try the A cup, would have been good for comparison. I think half my problem is I’ve never had any decent fitting bras. These ones really hold me together and push them up - which in it’s self is a whole different look too. My bf says it just look like my nipples :roll_eyes: don’t really want it to look like they’re sticking out all the time either :sweat_smile: thanks for your reply x

2 Likes

Women now can receive the reconstruction, even after a time period after the surgery, and insurance has to accept it. For now or if you don’t want that at all, then calling the shop back for help would be the best thing to do. They were sensitive to your needs which is very important.
Good luck to you. I hope all goes well.

2 Likes

Sorry, only just seen this reply. Yeah I’m definitely not going under the knife again unless it’s life saving. Reconstruction is not something I was ever bothered about. Also, no insurance, NHS only! It took me a long time to pluck up the courage to go for the bra fitting and well it was very odd! Just in a hotel room, the receptionist had directed me to the right room but at first when I knocked there was no answer and I started to panic that, the room number was wrong. There was no sign on the door or indiction, I was at the right room. I was a bit early so waited till my appointment time, then knocked and thankfully she answered and I was at the right room! I’m ok for now, have ordered the A cups and they fit lovely, some of the styles are still a bit big. I also need to look for seamless ones. I will have to look at other brands. To be honest, I’m comfortable as I am without the breastform. It’s only if I wear something tight fitting. I have been swimming multiple times with my new cossie and insert and it’s been great! I’m all good. Thanks for your reply! If I had a bit of money and know how, I’d set up my own company and be in hospitals so no-one else would have to feel as I have x

1 Like

Hi everyone. It never occurred to me that my breast will look any different, or that I may need to put anything in my bra, after lumpectomy. I thought it would just be a scary. How much of a dip, or different shape is it? I’m a bit frightened now :flushed:

1 Like

Alexandra Perry HER Bodyware is one to look at too. Alexandra is a 2 x bc survivor and designed this range from hers and others experiences :heart: she’s an amazing person who I have been lucky enough to meet, so do take a look at her range too :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

Hey, so the surgeon took some fat from my side and flipped it over so it’s like it’s been flattened. I would say it’s an inch or 2 smaller than the other breast. My surgeon told me I would have quite a dip without the extra fat there. I would probably get away with a padded bra but I’m not a fan of them. I would speak to your surgeon or consultant. They showed me pictures of previous surgery they’d done on similar patients too, so I had an idea. It might be worth speaking to Macmillan too (I never did this). If you don’t want to speak to Macmillan or don’t know where they’re situated in your hospital ask the consultant. Tell them your concerns so they can talk it through with you again. I was just concerned about getting the cancer out, I wasn’t thinking about after. I wasn’t bothered with reconstruction. Also ask about post op bras. I searched online after my op and as a result never tried them on before. I had lymph node involvement and with the scar coming down further due to the flip of fat, I found my bras dug into the scar. Post op bras are softer. I had extenders for my normal bras to so they weren’t so tight. I got my post op bras from macom (?) I think. You just order your chest size and the bra moulds to your cup size. I don’t think it’s noticeable every day, in baggy t shirts or jumper but in something snug you can see it. Sorry to have worried you but definitely speak to your team. X

1 Like

I could take some photos of mine, if you like. If I can post them on here. X

@sprout78 thanks. That’s all really helpful. I’m having chemo first as I have a large lymph node to be shrunk, to make the op easier, so I won’t be having the operation before November I shouldn’t imagine. I will keep all you have said in mind for then. xx

1 Like

Good luck :four_leaf_clover: I hope it all goes well xx

1 Like

Hi @sprout78. I had a left mastectomy and have booked a bra fitting with Nicola Jane in a few weeks time. I want to recover from RT first. Only 12 days post RT and I’m very red and sore at the moment. Up to now I’ve been wearing a crop top with a softie but I want a smooth T shirt bra that will look ok under more fitted tops. Once I’ve chosen that I’ll book an NHS appointment for a prosthesis.

I was looking at the bra online called Hana. Is that the one that was recommended to you that isn’t cotton? I see there’s a cotton bra called Anna but can’t see if there are seams across the centre. I won’t order at the appointment as I’d rather go home, think about it and order online.

Good luck sorting out your bra problem. You should go back to them if you’re not happy. x

Hiya, sorry had to look at the website again. I think she recommended the tammy but it’s padded so I chose the beth which is basically the same just not padded. The angelina is the softest one but definitely has seems and comes up quite big. Had a look at the Hana and think that one says it is cotton. If you look at the white one, you can see there is a seem across the middle. I don’t think it’s something I’ve ever worried about before and you might find it doesn’t cause a problem for you.
I find the front fastening ones dig in a bit. Ate you near their shop or are you going to a location near you for the fitting? She did bring quite a wide variety of bras with her, so it might be worth asking to try on a couple more. The one she put on me wasn’t the one she recommended, was just to establish the size. Also some of the cotton ones don’t have the elastic under the breasts covered. Which is something I never thought about either. The Beth one that I bought IS extremely comfortable, I just do an active job and have always bought cotton bras :woman_shrugging: she also said something really odd to me about you don’t need load of bras, just one or 2 that fit really well. I don’t know about you but I put a fresh one on every day. Maybe that’s just because I will sweat most days though :thinking:
Good luck with your bra fitting, just remember to ask loads of questions. I didn’t and wish I had. Xx

2 Likes

Thanks. Will have a look at those on the website. I definitely don’t want a seam. It has to have smooth cups. Yes I agree that I’d want several bras once I’d found the right one. I’m going to a location near me, not the shop. Will ask lots of questions and be very picky! x

2 Likes

Yes do, the woman was lovely and I didn’t feel awkward at all. I’m just really shy and don’t always ask questions! Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I had a lumpectomy about six weeks ago, left breast. The surgeon also did a mammoplasty, basically reshaping my breast so it looks as much like the other as possible. She did a good job but my left breast is noticeably smaller. Before my op I bought some post surgery bras from George at Asda that were both very cheap, two for £16, and extremely comfortable. They are quite stretchy and they have inserts so you can take out the one for your larger breast. I think you can barely notice the difference wearing them. They look like crop top bras and come in a range of colours including bright pink and purple, and are perfect for everyday wear under a tee shirt. I think they’re great and cheap as chips.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have seen some supermarket bras and wondered about them. Just wish they had come up in my search engine before the more expensive options. I also wish I had been given more help or advice from my team pre op. X

1 Like