Brain fog

Hi everyone
I know there have been previous posts on this subject but I can’t seem to find an answer. If anyone can identify with my situation and give their thoughts I would appreciate it.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago. I had bilateral lumpectomies, lymph clearance one side, chemo and radiotherapy. I am now taking Anastrozole, ibandronic Acid (daily tablet) and vit D+calcium. So far so good.
I feel I’ve recovered quite well.
However, I can’t get rid of the brain fog. I am constantly fuzzy minded and feel as if I’m in a cloud and not quite there.
Anyone feeling the same?
I’m wondering if it’s left over from treatment, medication, having had my 70th birthday or all the above. I feel my brain is generally slow. I’m on the outside looking in through a steamed up window.
Any ideas that might help?

1 Like

Hello @Pengu1n

This came up at my BC support group on Friday - one member in particular was reporting brain fog and wondering if it was just them ( aged 82 ) . The answer from the rest of the group was a resounding no - it is probably medication / anti - oestrogen therapy related. I had this as well during my first few weeks on Anastrozole though it did settle down after 2-3 months .

I would suggest discussing this with your BCN as there are options which could be explored also there could be some residual fatigue from radiotherapy or chemo. I’m not familiar with Ibandronic Acid so I can’t comment on that . If there’s a support group or cancer centre locally may be you could get some help there.

Hope things improve for you
Joanne x

Thank you Joanne, what you’ve said is very reassuring and you are right, a call to my BC nurse and a trip to Maggie’s could be helpful. I was just getting a bit down about it all but you’ve helped a lot.

1 Like

Yes, I’m foggy too!
It’s a symptom of menopause so I think it’s inevitable given the meds we’re on.

Surgery in 2019, currently taking exemestane.

I spoke very recently with my BCN about joint pain. On her recommendation I’m taking omega-3 every day. It’s helping with the joint pain, but I also read it’s good for reducing brain fog. Here’s hoping.

Let us know if yours improves, Joanne. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks very much I will give it a try. Good to get hints and tips from others in the same boat.

1 Like

Hello @Pengu1n

I find matcha tea and green tea help. The matcha is omg tea high grade. Then there is jasmine pearls from tea pigs, I have these every day at work to keep my brain working.
On tireder days I drink a perfect Ted.
Not to be had too late in the day tho, they can keep me awake.

Also have a Ladycare magnet, to keep my brain and mind on the right track.

I have also got myself a couple of crystal bracelets -one for calm, another for decision making.

Not everyday is totally fog free, especially when I am tired, these things do make a difference to me tho.

Hope you find your way through the fog xxx

Thank you. Knowing what works for you is good recommendation. Plenty to try. Fingers crossed.

Ooh … intrigued by the magnet . Might be something to look into .

Xx

Hello Penguin
I started brain fog ever since natural menopause.
Yes I used to feel not quite there and thinking slowly. I described it like having a hangover without any of the headache or stomach upset and nausea. It wasn’t fixed by hrt (although hrt fixed a lot of other symptoms)
Since then I’ve had DCIS breast cancer treated with operation and radiotherapy. No drugs. I was already menopausal.
Id thought I’d had to live with the brain fog.
Then I got chronic constipation treated with drug that promotes peristalsis by affecting serotonin and thereby parts of nervous system. My brain fog went overnight!
This effect wasn’t listed on the side effects.
Note this drug isn’t a solution for brain fog as it would give you awful diarrhea.

If I ever come off this drug and the brain fog comes back I’d be looking for another drug to replace it. Being without brain fog is a big difference to life.

So definitely see medical professionals. I wonder if a low dose of some antidepressants that affect serotonin system might help - but that’s just me guessing.

I guess the take away is it’s a real thing, and there may be treatments that are worth exploring.

I feel the same.

Hi @Pengu1n, Absolutely the same. I have had all sorts of medications. I currently have anastrozole, prostap and ibandronic acid too. I am currently having a ‘medication holiday’ after two years as I have so many problems. I have cells in my eyes, dizziness, headache and brain fog everyday, and I’ve been off the medication for the med holiday for three weeks. I wonder if it’ll ever go. I am having a few weeks off work, but what’s more annoying is that no one I work with does or will ever understand. My career requires me to use my brain a lot and it is embarrassing not to be able to think of the simplest of things, so much so that I have even considered early retirement at the age of 43.