BRCA and breast cancer

Hi. I’m new to this site and thought I’d give you some background to explain why I joined. I tested positive for the BRCA1 gene mutation last year and opted for radical surgery. I had a hysterectomy in March and a bilateral mastectomy in July. During the mastectomy however, cancer was found in my left breast. I had lymph nodes removed but they were clear. I’m starting a course of chemo soon and I’m not sure what to expect. I’ve done some reading but I know that chemo is different depending on type of cancer etc. I see the oncologist in a couple of weeks but would like to know something about what I should expect. If anyone can help with this I’d be very grateful. X

Hi LainieG and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support you will find here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you so please free to call 0808 800 6000 to talk your concerns over, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Here’s a link to the treatments area of the site, here you will find lots on information about chemo and other treatments along with further support ideas from BCC :

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC