BRCA1 and Travel Insurance

I carry the BRCA1 gene.

Do I need to declare this when applying for travel insurance? I have just phoned insurepink (who gave me a good quote for having had BC) and they did not ask me about it, but then again I did not tell them either?

I do seem to recall that I had read something saying that you do not need to declare genetic things like this, but I would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me.

Thanks

Hi,

No you don’t have to declare a BRCA mutation for travel insurance, treatment for bc yes but not for the mutation. Having a mutation isn’t an illness and isn’t going to cause an illness whilst on holiday.
Best wishes x

you dont need to offer your brca status fr any kind of insurance even life insurance and critical illness too.

when having counseling before I had the test, all they seemed to go on about was the fact I would be penalized on insurance. when I said I had already got life insurance she said oh well you will be ok then, as long as I didn’t take out a new policy when I knew about the condition?
I didnt think or ask to much about travel insurance but as for the life insurance was made to feel it was a big thing?

helen im surprised they told you that… its not the test that puts up your insurance but your family history of cancer… there is an agreement with british insurance companies where you do not have to divulge information about predictive testing… it may increase your risk to between 55 and 85% but doesnt mean you are definitely going to have BC.

this is a quote from the BCC cancer in families booklet…
“Currently if you’ve had a genetic test for breast cancer
you don’t have to disclose the result when you apply for
insurance, such as life or health insurance (under a
certain amount). However, insurance companies currently
ask about your family’s medical history and if you have a
significant family history of breast cancer you may be
charged a higher premium.”

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/bc_in_families__final_12_june_08_layout_1_0.pdf

I chatted to my husband after I posted on here last night as he was with me at the sessions. I had to have 3 session b4 they would let me take the test and every time she was happy I knew what I was doing, that I had gone away and done my research etc etc but was very clear about the insurance issue till we told her we already had life insurance. it would not have made a difference then me having the test as I would have to have mentioned my mum’s cancer