Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Hello all - its now October and its Breast Cancer Awareness Month - lots will be done to make women aware - we know what its like to lose a loved one to breast cancer - MEN only get a token mention in the campaign - most dont even know men can get breast cancer - so please pass this message, to whoever you meet.

MEN GET BREAST CANCER TOO

thank you David

I didnt realise men got breast cancer until earlier this year, listening to radio 2 the Jeremy Vine show, he did a bit on Breast cancer. I had already about a month before noticed a lump in my breast. I started thinking, slowly, because it still took another two months for me to go to the docs. At the West Suffolk hospital I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The Mastectomy was so carried out very efficiently.I was worried but I neednt have, it was easy to deal with and healed within a few weeks.
Unfortunately I needed to have Chemotherapy. I have had my 3rd course, it has not been easy.
If anyone who reads this has got any tips on how to ease the pain of sore viens, my arm is very sore and siezing up, I would appreciate any advice.

My Best wishes go out to anyone having to deal with this cancer.

Andy.

Hi Andy. This may be a good place to start. share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19110&p=611003#p611003

There are usually threads in here for members starting chemo during a certain month. Feel free to tag along, have a read and some imput :o)

Hi Andy

I, too, have been receiving treatment at the West Suffolk hospital and can not praise them more highly. I finished chemo 9 weeks ago but will still be having my herceptin there every 3 weeks until the end of next summer so might even get to see you in the Macmillan unit there - next one is on Tuesday December 20th. I had my op at the West Suffolk in April and it’s been a long old haul since then.

4 more rads to go this week at the Norfolk & Norwich University hospital where I happened to meet a man last week who has just had his 1st chemo, and whose daughter was also diagnosed 3 years ago with breast cancer - what a cruel twist of fate for this family.

My veins gave up after my 3 FEC treatments so for my 3 docetaxels I had a portacath inserted which will now stay with me until I finish my herceptin. Can’t help you re the pain though as I didn’t suffer like you, my veins just wouldn’t co-operate in giving up blood. I’m sure that someone will soon come up with some advice for you.

Just wondering if you happen to live near me so would be lovely to hear back from you

Mazzalou x

Hi Andy, and welcome (unfortunately). Lots of people get a PICC or Hickman line inserted, or a portacath (I have one and it’s brilliant) which really helps. You should have a breast care nurse who you can contact, she should be able to tell you about it.

You might also want to give the helpline a ring tomorrow as they will be able to put you in touch with other men going through the same thing - you’re a rare breed so it can feel a bit lonely. There are one or two men who post occasionally, both patients and partners, they might be along to say hello if they notice your post.

There’s also a cream called Hirudoid which might help your veins. Have you got your prescription exemption form done? Your GP should be able to sort it out so you get free prescriptions for 5 years, and GP should also be able to prescribe the cream.

Good luck,

CM
x

Hi Andy

Sorry you’ve had to join us.

As CM has said Have a chat to your BCN about it - they can prescribe stuff to help if it’s very bad, but I found that the best thing was to make sure that I really stretched my arm out several times a day to stretch the veins and stop them contracting so much - holding the stretch even if it hurt a bit. Gentle massage with moisturiser helps as well.

Do see your GP or BCN straight away if any veins become red or swollen - you may have phlebitis and they often give antibiotics for that as well.

Some damage may be permanent and it does take a long time to get better. I had FEC-T and the last FEC was in May - if I twist my arm you can still see the indent over the top of my veins - like a map!

HTH
Dx

Hi, Thank you very much to those who replied to my posting. Stretching excersises help a little, it does feel like the veins are shrinking. I will see my oncologist on Tuesday so I will ask about any cream that may help.
I agree Mazzalou, They are great at Bury. Did you suffer much with sickness? I take Emend now but still horribly sick for 3 or 4 days after my chemo.
I am just outside Thetford.

Thanks for your comments, Andy.

Hi Andy

Yes, they are fantastic at Bury. So far since March I have had 33 appointments there, and that’s not counting the N & N or Addenbrooks!

I don’t know what chemo you are on Andy. I had 3 FEC followed by 3 docetaxel. With my 1st 2 FEC I was sick on the 1st evening but that is all, and not at all with docetaxel but other side effects though. Be sure to let them know if sickness is a problem for you, and also mention your vein problem too.

I actually live in Thetford so you must be very near to me. I am at the N & N Mon to Thurs this week for the last of my rads and then on Monday I have a MUGA scan and a CT scan at the West Suffolk. I am there again on Friday for a follow-up, and again on Tuesday 20th for herceptin in the Macmillan unit.

If you are at the West Suffolk on any of these days let me know if you would like to meet up.

Good luck for Tuesday and let me know how you get on please

Mazzalou

I live in Shropshire, but had my mx and recon in Bury. Long story why, but boils down to my sis living near Sudbury, so could stay with her afterwards, and having (through work) health insurance so could swap areas quite easily. I was in the BMI St Edmunds, but had an MRI at W Suffolk Had follow up chemo and rads back in Shrop.
Dx

What a small world! . I cannot praise my GP in Thetford and the team at the West Suffolk enough, and must mention too the radiologists at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital.

Hi Mazzalou,
Wow you have had allot of treatment, most I have not heard of yet. I am on FEC, my 4th one is on Tues 13th.

Something that I will be asking this Tuesday is whether they need to do any tests apart from the basic bloods, to see how my body is coping with the chemo, I think it is starting to take its toll. Maybe i`m just worrying.

I Hope your week goes well with the rads.

Take care, Andy.

Hi Doug,
I enjoyed reading your blog. I’m in Jan thread having chemo. Will you be having chemo and rads? It feels like an endless road but I only have 1 more chemo to go before I start rads and I can just about see the tiny dot of light at the end. I wish you all the best and will follow your journey.
Anne xx

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I’m sure you’ll get some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site, albeit mainly female! There are a few men out there who have used these forums for support and I hope they still read here and come forward to support you. It might be an idea if you start a new thread, but stil within the ‘Men diagnosed with bc’ forum, that way it will bring to others attention that you’re new to this.

For some added support for you the helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Hey Doug

Welcome - although of course I wish you didn’t have to join us.

Im just off to see my consultant abut my upcoming mastectomy so I will read your blog when I get home.