Breast Cancer/Melanoma Link?

I’ve had treatment for breast cancer 5 years ago and have now been diagnosed with melanoma. I’ve read some info online that mentions a link between the two, does anyone have any experience of this, or have any further information?

Once you’ve been diagnosed with one cancer you are at higher risk for another. That’s the first thing we all have going for us (sarcasm here :slight_smile: However, breast cancer does appear to be linked to some other cancers particularly. Thyroid is one and yes, I’ve also read melanoma is another. It might be related to genes. For example BRCA2 is associated with breast and melanoma.

Hi @Cara247 i was diagnosed with Melanoma in early 2019 and was discharged after 5 years, just 2 weeks after my BC DCIS diagnosis on 22nd December 2023 xx

I did ask the question at the time when I saw dermatologist and she said there wasn’t a link! But I’ve read online there definitely is.

Sorry to hear that Tracy1, your situation is similar to mine but in reverse. I was putting mine down to genetics or radiotherapy.

Hi Cara247,

Thanks for posting.

There is some research that suggests there is a link between breast cancer and melanoma, but the overall findings are inconclusive. As @Kay0987 says, there is some evidence stating this link may be stronger in people who have an genetic alteration such as BRAC2, but more research is required to confirm this.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

You may also find support from Melanoma UK.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Victoria

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.