Breast cancer metastasis to abdomen

Can you tell me the proportion of women who have secondary breast cancer in the abdomen annually as I can find no references to this condition on the internet except on the breast cancer site, and I had my diep reconstruction from my tum, and wonder if this was wise if I could get secondary cancer there. To me the abdomen is an unknown area except for the stomach and intestines, bladder, and uterus. Blimey I know more about it than I thought. My grade A in biology o level must have done me some good…

Seagulls

1 Like

I’m no expert but my understanding is that it’s rare for mets to reach the abdomen. I would hope that any mets would be picked up well before it reached there?? Also my understanding of DIEP is that they remove fat and I think metastases would develop in the abdomen in the peritoneum which is well below the fat level (I think??) but like I say I’m no expert and I’d say don’t worry.

1 Like

Thanks Dew23

I am not exactly worried but I would like to find out the symptoms of abdominal breast cancer mets so I can check for them. My tum has been a bit hard recently, I am not sure why though.

Seagulls

1 Like

Again no expert but I’m thinking if fat gone then muscle will be left which is firmer than fat on the abdomen but my advice will always be speak to your breast nurse just to be on safe side. Good luck with your recovery.
I’ve just had mastectomy with tissue expander with a view to DIEP later but to be honest I really don’t know if I can go through it. Big op so well done x

1 Like

Thanks I just thought that the kidneys are in there somewhere, plus the bowel and the liver.

I did have nine or so hours of surgery but at least I wasn’t aware of it, and was very joyful when I woke up. I don’t know what they gave me but it was absolutely brilliant. I was pretending to be a bus driver in my trolley and saying there was room for one more on top. Luckily no one took me up on the offer.

Seagulls

3 Likes

:laughing: that sounds like motivation enough to go for it

2 Likes

I couldn’t stop giggling when I came round from my Diep (8.5 hours) and when my husband visited I kept saying, ‘it’s not perfect, but my surgeon has promised to touch me up!’ I thought it was hilarious :joy: x

I think we must have had some of the same laughing gas or whatever they use!
Cheers Seagulls

1 Like