Breast cancer recurrence

Hi,

6 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in my right breast. After 2 failed lumpectomies I opted for double mastectomy and reconstruction at that time my lymph nodes were all clear. Fast forward on to 6 years and 2 months later I find a lump just under the skin very near to the original site of the cancer and turns out after pet scan I have 2 separate lumps grade 3 and now one lymph node affected. I am 37 with 5 children and mentally I’m really struggling this time around with treatment and the next steps. 
Feel really lonely with it all I have an amazing husband has been there from the start but have so much guilt for putting them all through this again! 

It utterly sucks, doesn’t it? Especially when you’ve been here before and done all these hard things to ‘fix’ everything, and it just isn’t fair. You have my every sympathy and understanding and I hope you can ditch the guilt because this isn’t your fault in the slightest.

In the hope of helping the loneliness, my own tale isn’t too different. I’m 43, had a diagnosis six years ago, too. Only had a lumpectomy then, though. Fast forward to 2020 and there’s a new primary, so went the route of lumpectomy, reduction, then bilateral mastectomy last January. Nine months later I was having lipofill surgery and mentioned that the lumpectomy scar was kind of hard and painful - and against all odds, there’s another tumour.

It’s a weird position to be in. On the one hand, you know enough about treatment to dread having to do it all again - and there’s that ‘it’s not fair!’ in the back of your head (or is that just me?!) and it’s totally not. On the other hand, you also know you’ve managed before - so can do it again.

We’re all here for you, please don’t ever feel alone. You can do this! xx

Hi all I had DCIS in 2007 lumpectomy lymph nodes removed chemotherapy and radiotherapy then tamoxifen until 2018 this was all in Northern Ireland before I moved to Birmingham to be closer to my two daughters Was called for a mammogram in December 2021 then appointment at hospital for ultrasound and core biopsy results are back and it’s BC again in the same breast  although this time Invasive ductal have CT scan on 26th checking in case there is any secondary’s and surgery 17th February for mastectomy 
I feel so sad tired finding it hard to make decisions Covid doesn’t help now have to shield for 14 days before surgery and also afterwards Sometimes feel is it worth going on with all the treatment tests etc

12 years ago I was diagnosed. Mastectomy, reconstruction and 5 years Arimidex.  Thought I was home free.  Cancer returned on the same side  in what breast tissue remained. Now after lump removed I am having radiation.  Not sure how this is happening. I thought Mastectomy was enough.  I can so relate. Take care 

After nearly 17 years I had an MRI scan in November as I had painful ribs. No mets found but a 15mm nodule in the breast was! I didn’t hear about that till after my routine December mammogram then ultrasound, biopsy,  CT ( I think that these scans are always done when there’s any recurrence?) Anyway, results of biopsy showed IDC, ER+ PR+ HER2- Grade 2 in the same breast I’d had a lumpectomy in in 2005. Surgery- mastectomy-is scheduled for the 2nd March. The wait has been long! I wanted to ask if other women had waited a long time and if anyone had had a mastectomy after a lumpectomy.  Worried about lymphoedema and whether my surgeon will be able to access a sentinel node after 9 were removed before. Dont like being back in the club but found it so helpful last time.

Hi ALL you fellow "Oh Noo Not Again"ers (<<that’s putting it very politely! ).

Firstly, as it’s so imminent, @Margarita  - Am soo hoping all goes well with your op this Wednesday 2nd. Yes, why don’t you ask them to try a squirt of WD40, whilst they’re at it? Chuckled at your ref to. Maybe you will be the finder of a miracle cure!  From own exp of mastectomy, no didn’t feel much pain, but DID strictly keep my level of Paracetamols up afterwards, taking regularly every 4hrs or so until well healed, about 2wks later with me. And especially ALWAYS take before bed, even if not in pain at actual time, as any awkward movements during sleep can wake you up if you haven’t (as I initially discovered! :frowning_face:

Please forgive me if I don’t mention you by name, as there are many of you and posts. Just read through from @lauzayers  initial post.

How are you doing and where are you up to now @lauzayers  since your Jan post and waiting on results/procedures??

And @sunshinegirl29   - How are you since your mast op earlier in Feb??

Hope all is or goes well to ALL others who may also have had ops, are having, or are frustratingly waiting on results.

My experiences of 2 x BC c**p, were 1st one 2006 - Choice of lumpectomy and rads, or a mastectomy with full node clearance/ANC (was “standard” procedure back then before advent of Sentinel Node Biopsy) - Opted for Mast +ANC, no chemo or rads required from all nodes clear. Again differs now, dependent on higher risks of spread with the certain type/grade/stage, for possibility of having “by-passed” our nodes (soldiers!).  Quite amazed myself at recovering and bouncing back really quickly and well from, within 6 mnths, both physically AND mentally. YEY!!! 

Then, Literally just BEFORE my annual check up for that, now 2007, I found a tiny lump on the other/remaining breast. Further investigations (or more being prodded and poked at with needles, like the piece of meat you begin to feel like) and thankfully my surgeons conscientiousness/caution, not taking what the ultrasound doctor thought and said to me to be “just a group of harmless cysts”. Grrrrrr. Tumour underneath of and showed up to be a different type to 1st, so another “primary”, therefore thankfully NOT a spread from the first. Phew-eee. Again offered lumpectomy + rads or mast and ANC. But my attitude 2nd time was just wanted the whole b***er off with another mast and ANC, hopefully get rid of any chance of breast tissue recurrence.

So the 2nd not even being a year apart, again recovered well and quickly from physically, but totally smashed me up mentally. But. . . . . I am still here 15yrs later. Have had no further complications, recurrences,  or so far so good. Unlike my poor bud, @bookish  (Hello again, flower. Always good to see you but NOT FOR THE REASONS OF seeing you again, hey?)

I got past worrying about it, after my 5 yr check. Yes, we’re always left with a seed of doubt, and Yes it “may”/does sometimes show itself again elsewhere, as certain unfortunate women here on the Forum experience sometimes years later. But rather than dwell on it “may” happen, I live life on the “may not ever” happen side.

Wishing and sending ALL of you speedy healing thoughts and strength to keep kicking it in the butt, girls. And most importantly,  LOTS of LOVE,  Dellywelly xXXx