Breast cancer returned exactly 1 year after first diagnosis.

Hi, I’m struggling a little bit with getting my head round things second time round. My story is I’m 35 had grade 3 triple neg breast cancer in July 2015. I had lumpectomy and then had to have axillary clearance as spread was to nodes. I then had 8 chemo followed by 20 radio. On my first mammogram they spotted microcalcifications in the affected breast which after biopsy and then mastectomy in August 2016 has shown it was cancer cells in DCIS in the blood vessels of my breast. To me now that means there is a chance that some cells have already potentially started circulating in my blood stream. But I have been told no further treatment and review in 1 year!! Has anybody had a similar experience or had anything extra. It’s the not knowing or monitoring what’s happening in my blood that I can’t let go of! Thanks x

Hi Raybay80, 

I am really sorry to hear you are struggling and I am sure some of our users will be along to support. 

You may also want to take a look at a Facebook group that has been set up for younger women with breast cancer called Younger Breast Cancer Network

In the meantime please do call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about questions you may have and offer support. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Hi Raybay

Sorry, I can see that Lizzy has already replied to you but I did want to share with you that we could put you in touch with someone that understands your concerns, through our Someone Like Me service. If you think it would help.

I think it is really understandable that you have these concerns, with all that you have been through. However I do know lots of women that have been diagnosed more than once and if you feel it would help, we could arrange for you to speak with one of them? 

Through ‘Someone Like Me’ we have volunteers that have experienced different things and had different concerns. If you’d like us to put you in contact with someone, hopefully, a woman that shares things in common with yourself, please do let us know. You can email us at someonelikeme@breastcancercare.org.uk or call us on 0114 263 6490. 

I hope that we can be of some help to you

Tom