breast cancer

HI ALL ,IM NEW TO THIS SIGHT YESTERDAY I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE 1 LUBULOR BREAST CANCER ,IM SO FRIGHTENED OF WHATS AHEAD OF ME ,TODAY I HAD MRI SCAN WHICH I FOUND HARD TO COPE WITH ,I AM T0 HAVE LUMPECTOMY AND LYMPH NODES REMOVED ,I HAD NO SYMTEMS OF THIS AWFUL DISEASE ,AS IM 50YRS OLD IT WAS A ROUTINE MAMMAGROM THAT PICKED IT UP  ,DONT NO HOW LONG IT HAS BEEN THERE ,I I HAVE TO HAVE 4 WEEKS RADIATION THEREPY I FEEL SO ILL WITH ALL THIS .

Hi Deborah

I feel for you.  It is very frightening but you are in the right place. There are people here to support and advise you.   

The surgery isn’t too bad.  I had mine 12 days ago so I know.  Remember, you are asleep throughout!    You will just be a bit sore afterwards.  About a couple of weeks after surgery you should have more information about your type of cancer and what the treatment will be.  You will feel better once you have your treatment plan in place to zap the nasty beast. 

There are lots of people on here who can help you understand what you are going through and the type of cancer you are dealing with.  It’s a mine of information!  Just know, you are not alone and other people who have been through the same thing are here to support you. 

The good news is that you say your cancer is stage 1 so they have caught it early.  The surgery and subsequent treatment are to  ensure it doesn’t come back.  Try not to get to worried.   I know that’s hard but remember breast cancer is survivable these days. 

You might want to read this link to this site’s information page on your type of cancer.  I hope it will help you understand what you are dealing with. 

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/primary-breast-cancer/types%C2%A0of%C2%A0primary%C2%A0breast%C2%A0cancer/invasive-lobular-breast-cance

Good luck and keep us posted.

Anne  

Hi flahertydeborah

I am so sorry to hear you are having such a worrying time. What Anne has said is correct. At the moment you are in limbo and don’t know what to expect.  It is very rare that breast cancer has any symptoms unless you can feel a lump, or like you, it is picked up on a routine mammogram. I notice that Anne gave you a link to a very good booklet. Here is another one. 

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc45_invasive_lobular_2013_web.pdf

I think when you say stage 1, you mean grade 1. They won’t be able to tell the stage until after your surgery.  Have they told you whether it is Oestrogen or Progestrogen sensitive? or HER2 sensitive? As Anne said, when you have had your lumpectomy, they will tell you more about it and put a treatment plan in place. Then you will feel more in control, and less scared.

I found my lump in October last year. grade 3, had mastectomy  and sentinal node biopsy.  3 nodes removed, one had cancer cells in it.  Had chemo but no radiotherapy, and I’m now on Anastrazole for at least five years,  as my tumour was hormone sensitive.

Do not Google, just use this site and the Macmillan. Sending big hugs and wishing you all the best.

Poemsgalore xx

Hi Deborah.  The waiting is awful isnt it.  I was diagnosed officially on 11th, had a bone scan on the 12th and got the results on the 13th, got CT tomorrow which I must admit I am beside myself about, then ECG and MRI the day after.  I was told that my MRI is simply to give them a marker to see if chemo is working prior to surgery so Im trying not to worry about that but even though things are moving quickly it feels like an eternity.  Met my oncologist yesterday who told me what treatment Im having - docetaxal, herceptin and pretsomethingorother and I do feel better knowing that but the scans are still hanging over me.  Im 39 and work full time as an HLTA in a school but have been told to stay off for risk of infection from all my “little germ machines” so Im going up the walls!!  Day time TV is rubbish too and Im so tired but if I sleep during the day I dont sleep at night.  I just want to start treatment now tbh as awful as it will be.  I really hope things move quickly for you and you get some answers xxx

Yes I agree, I had a bone scan on 13th and CT on 18th, the waiting was awful but both results were in the following morning and my BCN rang me straight away, even left one result with my OH as I was out, not sure I could have rang her back if she hadnt of done that.  But like you every little twinge had me thinking the absolute worst.  You are most probably so tense that your entire body is aching all over, I know I was.  Once the results were in, all clear, I felt so much better and ready to face it.  I had already met with my Oncologist to find out what treatment I was having so just wanted to get started after the “good” news was in.  Im only 39 so quite young to have this **bleep**.  I have grade 3 BC, I was told there were 3 lumps ranging from 1.5cm to 0.5cm, its in my nodes too and Im HER2+ so need herceptin.  I start chemo on wednesday for 6 cycles then will need a mastectomy followed by rads and herceptin til this time next year.  Sounds a lot if I think about it but thats the only thing that will make me better so Im seeing as a positive thing.  Not doing this is a worse option so Im trying to see it as a positive in that I know its there and I know what I need to do to get thru it.  It could be worse in that I didnt know it was there and it was getting bigger.  Chemo if you need it will be nasty but Ive got some many tips  off here on how to get thru it so Im ready for that, surgery wont be great either but Im thinking “its just a boob” and they can make me another one (hopefully giving me a tummy tuck at the same time so all good there really) and the rads are just an inconvenience that will add miles to my car so nothing to worry about.  None of us can make the wait go away and its pretty hellish but you will get there and thru the other side, its just going to take a bit of doing.  I hope the time flies by for you and you get good results but you will get thru it in the end, take care, love Jayne xx

I hope your anxiety settles down soon, try to look at it as a positivve thing in that it will make you better and fix you.  The medical people are fabulous and can do amazing things, we will all get thru this in the end xx

Dear sugar flower
I am sorry to read that you are feeling so low, it may help to call our hepliners to talk through how you are feeling, they are on hand with a listening ear for you so do call if you can, lines are open 9-5 on 0808 800 6000 (sat 10-2)

Take care
Lucy BCC

I’m having mastectomy and hopefully reconstruction on 8th October . I was out shopping for things to take with me when I had this awful feeling of panic. I couldn’t choose anything because I don’t want to be in this position . I want my ‘normal’ life back instead of having breast cancer always on my mind . I thought I would be able to cope better than this . At first I just wanted the mastectomy to get rid of the cancer but now I’m so frightened. I don’t want to loose my breast it’s part of who I am. This is the first time I’ve said this . I’ve not told family or friends because, partly I don’t want to worry them and partly because I know it sounds stupid and unreasonable .
I’m like this now I don’t know what I’ll be like on Tuesday !
San x