Breast pain after stoping AI

Hi I’m five years post bilateral BC now and recently stopped Exemestane ( May 2024). Since then I’ve had pain in both breasts where all the scars are and the doctor said she felt a lump. I was stage 1 one tumour 7cm node cancer, cancer of no specific type and ductal carcinoma I think !! Oestrogen positive; low risk of recurrence low onco score; three lumpectomies plus another eight years before to take abnormal cells ( biopsy); radiotherapy and adjuvant Exemestane. Is it normal to suddenly get: shooting pains; tingling and lump ie scar tenderness. It’s been tender five months now. I’ve bought new bras as the scars where lymph nodes tested feel sore too. Any one experienced similar? I’ve been plucking up courage to refer back and GP can’t tell cos my breasts are a mass of nodes and scars and are dense. Does anyone think I’ve a local recurrence??

Hi lovely,

I would go back to be referred as tingling in the breast is not normal. It’s hopefully nothing but if breast cancer teaches us one thing it’s to be vigilant.

Good luck and big hugs
Xx

1 Like

Thanks for the hug Molly I’ve got a two week urgent referral but I’m hoping for alternative ideas and experiences. I’ll let people know in case this applies to others in future. Xx

1 Like

Hi Recnac,

Thank you for posting. It is understandable that you have questions after experiencing pain in your breasts for the last 5 months after stopping exemestane.

It is natural to worry especially as you have a history of breast cancer, however breast pain is very common in women of all ages and it can have several causes, which our information explains.

Having painful, sore, or tender breasts can cause anxiety. But on its own, it isn’t usually a sign of breast cancer. It can be helpful to keep a pain chart to see if there is any pattern to your pain. You will find a pain chart in our breast pain booklet.

As your pain has persisted for a few months and has not improved it’s important to find out what the possible cause of this may be so that it can be managed as @M0lly-Chorley suggests. It is good to hear that you have been to your GP to discuss your symptoms and the team at your upcoming appointment in the breast clinic will thoroughly assess your symptoms.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Katy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.