Breast pain

Hi guys can anyone give me any advice about breast pain that started over two months ago I originally thought I’d bumped it but couldn’t remember doing it. The pain is still there and the breast is tender and has two large blue veins I’m unsure if I should go to the doctors as I have read that pain rarely means cancer is this right? I don’t want to be wasting the GPs time it’s just getting a bit worrying now.

Don’t delay, go and see the GP and get it checked out. Breast clinics are full of worried well, but you never know, it could be serious and you will get advice one way or the other. Knowledge is power.

Seagulls

Don’t delay, go and see the GP and get it checked out. Breast clinics are full of worried well, but you never know, it could be serious and you will get advice one way or the other. Knowledge is power.

Seagulls

Hi Ducky 

Thanks for your post. 

Breast pain is very common in women of all ages. It can have several causes, which our information explains.  
Having painful, sore, or tender breasts can cause a lot of anxiety. But on its own, as you have read, isn’t usually a sign of breast cancer. Keeping a pain chart to see if there is any pattern to your pain can be helpful. You will find a pain chart in our breast pain booklet.  

It’s important to find out what the possible cause of any persistent breast pain may be so this can be managed. You won’t be wasting the GP’s time if you make an appointment with them to discuss your symptoms, as @Seagulls suggests.  They can advise if any treatments might be helpful for you.   

It’s not usually necessary for your GP to refer you a breast clinic when you have breast pain unless it affects your quality of life, has persisted for a few weeks or if the pain hasn’t responded to any recommended treatment, diet or lifestyle changes. However, it’s still important to be breast aware and contact your GP if the pain increases or changes, or you notice any other changes in your breasts.  

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.   

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.**  

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.   

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.   

Best wishes  

Wendy  

Breast Care Nurse   

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy    

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.