---BREAST PAIN

—BREAST PAIN

—BREAST PAIN I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR POSTINGS ON BREAST PAIN AND FELT THE NEED TO WRITE. I HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM HAVING A MAMOGRAM HAVING BEEN REFERED TO THE BREAST CLINIC BY MY GP FOR BREAST SWELLING AND SEVERE BREAST PAIN. NO LUMPS WERE FOUND OBVIOUSLY I AM VERY RELEIVED THAT I HAVE NOTHING SERIOUS BUT THE PAIN IN MY BREAST IS VERY REAL AND I HAVE TRIED EVENING PRIMROSE TABLETS AND CUTTING BACK ON CAFFINE WITH NO RESULTS, THE SENSATION IS OF A DRAGGING BURNING FEELING DOWN THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BREAST AND I FEEL LIKE THE INSIDE OF MY BREAST IS BEING SQUEEZED REALLY TIGHTLY, THE BREAST IS SLIGHTLY SWOLLEN AND FEELS SENSITIVE TO TOUCH. I DONT TAKE CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS AND HAVE NEVER SUFFERED LIKE THIS BEFORE …THE CONSULTANT SUGGESTED STRESS WHICH I FIND RATHER ODD HAS ANYONE HAD SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO ELIVIATE THEM SHOULD I KEEP ON GOING TO THE DOCTOR? I FEEL RATHER SILLY MAKING A FUSS ABOUT BREAST PAIN WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE WITH REALLY SERIOUS ILLNESS BUT I AM FINDING THIS VERY FRUSTRATING.

breast pain and breast cancer I had breast pain from 1997 onwards and it was really difficult to deal with as you can’t rub your breasts in public. I don’t think doctors take it that seriously but in my case it was very persistent.

In 2003 I noticed a rubbery lump in my breast, it also started getting bigger which I took to be something to do with the menopause (still getting periods now so it wasn’t). Both of them were getting bigger though, and sometimes seemed to go really hard.

Anyway I did have breast cancer, although the pain seems to have been caused by another problem I had - fibrocystic changes and sclerosing adenosis. Sclerosing adenosis is when the lobes of the breast go hard, and if there are nerves in there, it hurts. So that is what I think caused my pain. Although it is a benign condition it is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer, although not a very big risk factor.

How old are you? Breast cancer becomes more common the older you are, it’s rarer under 50, although incidence goes up between 40 and 50, it basically doubles every ten years, so in your 20s it’s 0.5 in a hundred chance, in your thirties it’s a 1 in a 100 chance, in your 40s it’s 2 in 100, in your 50s 4 in a 100, in your 60s 8 in a 100, etc.

I had a 2 in a 100 chance of getting it and I still had it though, so statistics aren’t that great if you are in the wrong group.

Mole

—BREAST PAIN --Mole
Thanks for replying and for the information, it all sounds so complicated. All I know is that my breast is so painful and although nothing came out on the mamogram I KNOW there is some kind of swelling because I can feel it! I cannot wear a bra anymore, it seems to put pressure on the sore area and make it even worse. I think the doctor telling me that the pain could be due to stress of worrying has knocked me somewhat. Am I making it up? Do I really feel a lump, I then start feeling the other breast to compare and to be honest I really dont know what I am looking for. I just know that it does not feel right. I had decided not go go to the ultrasound, I dont want to be taking up peoples time when, as the doctor said, he is more than sure that nothing will come out of it. but then I think it cannot be right to have to take nurofen ever day just to be able to go to work and not be rubbing my breast all the time and to be able to wear a bra. I have just turned 40 so I take hope in your statistics!
Johnson

Hi Johnson Hi Johnson,

Most breast ‘problems’ are benign but if in any doubt about symptoms get a second opinion.

Don’t worry about ‘wasting’ the doctor’s/consultant’s time. If your breast doesn’t feel right then there is some reason for it and the doctors need to find out the reason and then treat it. This goes for benign as well as malignant conditions.

I have never seen any research paper that suggests a link with stress and breast pain and if anyone suggests that the pain is because you are stressed then ask for the research evidence that shows this. If you are in pain then that pain has a cause and it is up to the medics to find the cause and treat it. I think that any doctor saying that he/she is ‘more than sure’ that nothing will show on the ultrasound needs his/her head testing. No one should ever be that sure.

Ring up your breast unit and insist on having the ultrasound. If something shows up (unlikely but not impossible) then you’ll be very glad (in the long term) that you went. If nothing shows up then you’ll at least be somewhat reassured and your doctor, through a process of elimination, will be nearer finding out the cause of the pain.

You are not timewasting. I repeat, you are not timewasting. This is what breast units are for. If only the women with breast cancer were sent to breast units we wouldn’t need the units. I’m sure that every time a woman is referred and is found to have a benign condition then most medics will be almost as relieved as the woman herself.

If your GP and consultant are particularly arrogant, pompous or dismissive then take a (preferably large and imposing) friend with you when you go to see them and insist on seeing your patient notes. It’s more difficult to bully two people than to bully one person.

Don’t worry too much. Most breast conditions are benign and the majority of malignant breast lumps are painless. However, I’m sure it’s worth having a second opinion plus an ultrasound.

Good luck,

Sue

Hi —I can only agree with the others, you should go ahead with the scan if only for your peace of mind.
I was going to the breast clinic with benign lumps, pain etc, problems for years before I was diagnosed and had to have a mastectomy.
I often felt like I was wasting their time and that other people were more in need of the service than me but if you think of 9 out of 10 lumps being benign, then most people in the clinic are probably in the same boat as you.
I remember the consultant saying to me, we would rather see you and tell you it is fine, than not see you and then have to give you terrible news because it was not checked out. He said I should never feel like I am wasting their time and that that is what they are there for.
I hope all is ok for you and that you get the clinic rung and rearrange your appointment!
Best wishes
Suex

i know how you feel I am having the same pain in my left breast., and also my breast has swollen up to where it is quite noticable. I also have pain going into my armpit. I was seen at the breast care clinic today and was basically told that i was not having any pain even though i was nearly crying on the table. My consultant wouldnt even let me have an ultrasound scan. He said it would be a waste of time.

I am going back to my gp’s to see a different doctor to see if he will get me a second opinion.

I am 28 and have been informed that my birth family ( i’m adopted ) has had two women on my birth mums side that one had breast cancer and one had imflammitroy breast cancer ( she was in her early 30’s ).

I find it hard to sleep or to quickly walk up and downstairs as it causes too much pain. I also have trouble sleeping at night.

I felt really foolish going to the clinic and didnt put up a fight with the consultant when he told me i had no pain. All he has told me is to go back in 3 months time and he will then recommed evening primrose oil ( yuck ).

I hope you feel better soon xxxxxx

take care

Louise

Louise if you are in so much pain you must go back and insist they listen and at least do futher investigations. It might heklp to take someone with you to help fight your corner. Try to see a different GP and ask for a referal. Tell him what you know about your family history so that he knows why you are so worried.
There is a good chance you will end up seeing someone else at the breast clinic as it is rare you get to see the same people. So you should get another opinion.
I have had breast lumps for years and I had to kick up a real fuss and keep going back until they found I had early bc and ended up having a mastectomy.
Keep pushing until you get to the bottom of what is wrong.
All the best
Suex

Thanks sue Hi Sue

Thank you for posting to me.

I went back to see my gp the day after my clinic appointment and saw a different gp. He didnt examine me and i told him about my family history but when i asked for him to refer me again he said that i should just keep a chart of when i feel really bad until i go back to the clinic in december.

I was just told that the consultant is excellent and he has a good feeling about if a woman has bc or not. This didnt ease my tension in the slightest.

The pain was that bad on friday night i was going crazy. A lovely lady on the " do i have bc" section of the forums suggested i ring my gps out of hours service. I did ring them and was told to take 2 paracetemols and put a warm hot water bottle on my sore breast as they wouldnt come to see me and wouldnt give me a time to see someone. Today ( mon ) i couldnt even get in to see my usual gp as they had no appointments.

I feel like i’m probably wasting the gps and clinic time and that i’m making something out of nothing. But i cannot think of anything else at the moment.

I’m sorry for writing such a long post.

Louise xx

Keep at it! Dont let them feel like you’re being silly or wasting anyones time. Time wasters are those with coughs and colds - not breast lumps and swellings…

Besides, you’d kick yourself it was something nasty and you could have prevented it.

You are the only one that can guage how important it is, so create a fuss and MAKE the GP see you.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Beccles x

Hi Beccles I finally got to see another gp at my practice and he was far from helpfull.

Just ended up coming home with stronger pain killers. I asked him to refer me to either a new consultant or the same one again but it fell on deaf ears yet again. Yet again got told to wait for the 3 month check at the clinic. I would go private but i cannot possibly afford it at the moment.

My fiance was fuming when i came out of the room ( he was at an appointment too thats why he couldnt come in with me ) He was yelling once we got home saying you could be seriously ill in 3 months then it may be too late to do anything if it turns out to be something serious.

I know i need to be stronger with the doctors but when it comes to it i always just say what i want to say and if the doctor doesnt agree with me i shut up because ive always been told in the past that if the doctor doesnt suspect anything then there is nothing wrong with you.

I’m so sorry for the rant

Take care and i hope you are well xxxxxxxxxx

Louise xxxxxx