Breastfeeding after biopsy

Hello, my apologies if not correct forum, but I am new. I had two mammograms last week with second to evaluate a calcification in left breast. The following day I had a stereotactic biopsy with imaging to evaluate the calcification.

I was told to not breastfeed for two days, but I did not think to ask if I should pump or not. My son is two years old, so I do not produce a lot of milk, but my left breast is swollen but I assume from the procedure not from my milk supply. Should I be pumping? Is it normal to have some blood in milk? Why can’t I nurse him from my right breast?

Overall I’m feeling a bit nervous, but I understand the better to be cautious and mark whatever they observed.

I am so appreciative of your insight.

1 Like

Hi @sammoington

I’m sorry for your situation and unable to answer your question. I wanted to point out you may not get answer until Monday.

Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small

If you are concerned and need an answer earlier you can call MacMillan today

Otherwise you could also call 111

Hope this helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi sammoington,

Thank you for posting.

It’s understandable that you feel nervous following the mammograms and biopsy on your left breast.

It is common to have some swelling following a breast biopsy, which usually settles over a few days or weeks, but it may also be related to your milk production while you’re not feeding your son. Do call the breast clinic where you had the biopsy for further advice. They will be able to assess the swelling you have and advise if you are able to feed from your right side. You can also let them know about the blood you have noticed in your breast milk, if this hasn’t resolved.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters so if language translation is required you can also call 0808 800 6000

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Cassie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.