Buying bra for post surgery

Hello - I’ve not had breast surgery yet as waiting for some more test results following an MRI to see how extensive surgery might be etc.
I thought to save myself hassle after surgery I’d buy some post surgery bras, I bought them online in my usual bra size. I watched the videos on this site about what to look out for (helpful!).
Now I wonder if it was pointless to buy bras before surgery as I really don’t know how my breast will change shape etc. Also I couldn’t tick the no VAT box as I’m still to have the operation.
Is the smartest thing to do, to return the bras and just do it all post surgery? I was trying to be proactive and organised but now I think maybe a bit too hasty!
Advice welcomed. Thank you.

Hi @roxie1 like you I bought some new bras pre surgery (I’m just one of those be prepared for everything type of people). But as I found afterwards you don’t know if you will be swollen or where your scars will be and might rub. I ended up taking them back and bought a couple of bralettes and even a couple of soft bras from SHEIN. They are all in one, no fastenings and as I couldn’t pull them over my head I just step into them. Seven months on from surgery and I’m still wearing them they are so comfortable and cheap if you only want them for a couple of weeks.

Good luck with your buying and sending positive thoughts and a big hug xxx

1 Like

Hi I did the same but had to go up a size after lumpectomy first time so took them back , and used them when I had mastectomy and implant I had zip front or Velcro fasting easier after surgery , that’s another tip wear clothes you can button up or slip on sometimes difficult to lift your arms due to the dressings
Hope all goes well for you xx

1 Like

Hi roxie1
No, you haven’t been hasty, i’m small busted & still brought 3, they helped alot & you’ll find you won’t be able to wear a normal bra for a while cause they dig in. I got mine from TU Sainsburys, really comfortable & have zip front & removable pads. They also advise you to wear them 24/7, which i did. Helped alot while sleeping. I had a lumpectomy.
Hope this is of some help. x

1 Like

Hi
If you are looking for a post surgery bra then I would recommend the cancer research UK bra (sold at Suzanne Charles). It has 3 different front fastening clasps for different widths and it is really soft and comfortable. My understanding is you can tick the vat free box if you are buying it for post surgery wear. (Checks aren’t done on this anyway).

1 Like

You are not being hasty at all, it’s good to be prepared. They will tell you to keep one on day and night for a min 2 x weeks. My hospital gave me one and I bought one. I wish I’d had a minimum of 3. For me the one I bought in my usual size (34C) I found was too tight after the surgery and I needed 36C. Obviously you need the front opening ones - I didn’t rate the M&S post surgery recovery bra which was the one I bought - something about the Velcro and hooks didn’t do it for me. Simple front hooks I found were great. And comfy cotton is the most impoetant thing. Asda do a great range of front opening post surgery bras that are really reasonable. Check out TU as well x

1 Like

Completely understand you want to get organised…so did i. However i junoed the gun & bought the wrong kind. My nurse told me front fastening bras would be best. I was then referred to a different hospital for a mastectomy with diep flap. I was giben a leaflet to say that front fastening poat surgery bras wouldnt give enoigh support & recommended a few brands which gave full support (back fastening) instead.
Id double check with your surgeon about what theyd recommended before buying as i ended up wasting money on the day-so of the nurse

1 Like

I think you are doing the right thing but just buy one that fits and feels comfy or maybe 2 - crop tops and sports bras can also be useful if you have any. My breast did not swell after surgery but it did after radiotherapy for a while . Comfort is important but having good support in place may help to prevent swelling . In my case I’m a bleeder and I bruise easily - I’m one of those people who walks around covered in bruises they can’t remember getting and I knew that I would need plenty of support . I did over prepare a bit though.

I bought some post- surgery bras from M+S beforehand and wondered if I would use them - I with mixed results . The hook up M+S ones are certainly not pretty but were very useful once I started walking about more as they were very supportive and I could undo some of the hooks when I was sitting down and I do still wear them just for work 2 years down the line though they’re getting a bit tatty now. My usual size in the hook up one was a bit small in the cup so I bought more a size up. The cami bras are a bit big fitting in the cup - I don’t wear those much now but they were good after radiotherapy. I also got a nicer one which I still wear with matching knickers for going out . I could go back to ordinary bras but I’ve found the post surgery ones to be more comfortable. I also found the M+ S Flexi Fit crop tops which are not for post surgery particularly ( so you can’t deduct VAT) but I have seen that other people on here wear them , to be useful and I already had a couple of those before surgery . Alas they have stopped making the sleep bra which I liked.

I have a couple of Anita bras available at Eloise online - one of those was given to me for free at our local support group by one of their fitters who was giving a talk about post surgery bras.

If you order online with M+S the VAT is automatically deducted without you having to tick a box. If you buy in store you have to sign something - bless you for feeling that you couldn’t tick that box as you had not yet had the surgery but you surely would be entitled .

I also bought a pack of cheap crop tops from Amazon which I wore for the first 48 hours under an old M+S support vest . They were useful at the time - at least the black one was . If you want to read a more humourous take on all this there’s a thread on entitled Number of Bras . Xx

1 Like

Thanks for your lovely thoughtful reply! I’m exactly the same - like to be organised and thought would be one thing I could tick off the list…but I now think your approach is much smarter!
Also, I did think about ease of putting on if I have restricted arm movement so bought front fastening only to find there are 10 hooks and eyes down the front - it makes it so darn fiddly, even in full health! I do wonder if a bloke designed them - oops sorry for that naughty thought!
Best wishes and thanks again. Sending back those fiddly bras and will go with the flow and also speak to my breast care nurse. I’m only keeping one with no seams that is soft as butter and pale pink (M&S) with a very deep soft band. :smiling_face:🩷

2 Likes

Thanks for taking time to reply - agree zip or Velcro seems a very practical solution. I’ve decided to hang on a bit and just accept can’t plan everything in advance! I think it’s the multi-tasking mum instinct to want to be prepared - years of packing school bags and dance uniforms etc!
Best wishes and wishing you a speedy recovery :mending_heart:

Ooh thanks! Didn’t know Sainsbury’s had a range - I like the fact it has a zip and also that it looks pretty much like a ‘normal’ sports bra too. Kind of you to share advice and experience, much appreciated. Take care 🩷

Many thanks - I bought what sounds like those ones from Cancer Research but was a bit disappointed at so many hooks to fasten - very fiddly, even before surgery!
So hard to know what size to buy too.
Suspect you’re right, I should have ticked the noVAT box - I was probably being too puritanical as I haven’t had surgery YET.
I may return and then repurchase.
Appreciate your reply- very helpful of you. Take care 🩷

So kind of you to take time to share this advice - really appreciated. I didn’t know Asda did these kind of bras - and yes, agree front fastening seems to be the way to go.
Best wishes to you 🩷

1 Like

Many thanks for sharing your experience, it’s all so confusing when you get conflicting advice but getting input from other women who’ve actually had experience of dealing with these issues is really valuable.
Take care 🩷

2 Likes

What an ace reply! Packed with common sense and laced with humour - my kinda gal!
I am already a terrible hoarder of huge quantities of underwear for every occasion - am going to need a new wardrobe at this rate!
I wondered if crop tops might be too hard to get into if arm/shoulder are stiff or sore. But they do sound comfy and at least not a wasted purchase as can wear later on if not immediately. Many thanks and will look up that thread! 🩷

1 Like

You’re welcome . I step into crop tops and support vests and pull them up my body rather than over my head then . I got a rotator cuff injury about 3 weeks post- surgery and was still able to get into them this way if that helps xx

1 Like

Good on ya. Sorry about your injury - hope it heals soon.
I must confess it was the thought of getting a crop top over my curvy posterior that was a mental (and possibly physical!) stumbling block on that one! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Take care :sparkling_heart:

You too - that was all some time ago the shoulder isn’t perfect but much better . If I said I was curvy that would be an understatement ! It’s relatively easy still to pull up a crop top but it goes more over smoothly over trousers / pyjama bottoms . I hope everything goes well for you - lots of ideas in the threads about what to wear afterwards and you will find what suits you best . Xx

1 Like

So glad your injury is better. Thanks again for all the hard-earned wisdom and support, what a lovely bunch of ladies on this forum. All best wishes 🩷

2 Likes

Hi Roxie1

I was the same as you and went out buying bras before I had a lumpectomy, any excuse for me to go shopping! My favourites were the seamless crop tops from Primark (£8 each and made of smooth almost like swimming costume material, not the ribbed ones). They are snug and supportive (I sized up to allow for swelling) and the removable padding gave a nice shape and felt protective. I stepped into them and still wear them now as they are great under close fitting clothes. There are lots of styles of matching briefs too depending on your preference including prettier lacy ones. I was adamant that just because I had had surgery it didn’t mean I couldn’t have nice matching underwear! Also great was a Nike zip front high support sports bra I already had. Other front fastening ones I found lacked support and pretty useless apart from sleeping in. Good luck with everything. x

1 Like