Cancer in nodes questions

Hi all. I hope everyone is well. So yesterday I had my surgery pathology results. They didn’t get clear margins and the sentinel node had 4mm of cancer in it. I’m now having an axillary clearance in 2 weeks.

I just wondered is 4mm a lot in a lymph node? If you had further positive nodes after your clearance, was the sentinel node a macro or micro metastasis please? Dr said that I might now need chemo, especially if anymore nodes are positive following axillary clearance. I am also now not eligible for onco dx as I am perimenopausal and lymph node positive.

Feel a bit in the dark. Any info or similar diagnoses welcome. X

1 Like

@bluesatsuma
Hi, I had clearance as sentinel node positive for cancer. Another 17 removed and 1 more positive so 2/19.
I did have chemotherapy and radiotherapy afterwards but think that was also cos biggest tumour 55mm and vascular invasion as well.
Not greatest 4 months but do-able.
Hopefully the team will put together all your histology findings and offer you best plan.
Big hugs

Thanks @LauraR. That sounds positive. 55mm is much bigger than my 4mm! How was the axillary clearance? I’m nervous about it but I think it will be a bit like the WLE and slnb but a bit worse.

How long since your operation? How are you doing now?
X

Hi @bluesatsuma …… my breast tumour was 12mm …,my nodes were thought to be clear at USS however after surgery I had x 1 positive node……my treatment plan changed from radiotherapy…… to chemo then radiotherapy….was a shock at the time……but I’m glad I had chemo now and everything was thrown at it……any proposed treatment plan will have been taken to the mdt before it is discussed with you….meaning it was a decision made by all members of the team using all their collective knowledge and experience….that made me feel confident with the plan……I hope things progress well for you

1 Like

@bluesatsuma
Not sure of lymph cancer size only tumours.
Clearance was fine, in first thing and home by lunch, no drains, no pain relief needed, no seromas but it was definitely harder to do exercises, straighten arm to full stretch… even now find it hard to do things like shut car boot with that hand BUT otherwise okay.
Do your exercises religiously-I think I stopped too soon and I suggest in front of mirror to make sure you really are moving your shoulder or whatever-at the start I thought I was doing better than I really was :joy:
Good luck

1 Like

Hi @cat15 and thanks for your reply. My original scans said tumour was 2.7cm but after surgery it was 1.7cm with dcis around it. It was a shock to hear I had 4mm of cancer in node too. I think they will see what is in my other nodes before they decide on chemo or radio next. Good luck with all your treatment. X

@LauraR thank you. I was terrible at doing the exercises after wle and slnb. I will definitely make sure I do them this time. Hope that you are doing well and feeling positive about all this we are dealing with. Thanks for the good advice x