cant sleep _worried

Hi I found a lump last thursday night and luckily got to see my GP the next morning who said the lump is about 3cm and has referred me to a breast clinic which i have already got an appointment for next week. The speed at which an appointment was made for me has unsettled me as i have never known a hospital appointment to come through so fast. I cant really talk to anyone about being worried as I am the person that everyone comes to me with their worries etc so i thought i would look on here to see if anyone else is having the same worries. I am 37 and a mum to 3 girls with no family history of b/c x

Hi Meshy, welcome to the BCC forums where you wills oon have lots of support and help from your fellow users

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Worried about breast cancer’ information page where you will find a publication about referral to a breast clinic which explains what you can expect to happen there:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm\_source=promo\_content&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=worried

Please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk through your concerns on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

Take care

Lucy

Hi Meshy,
Please don’t worry about the speed of the appointment, most referrals to the breast clinic by the GP will be classed as urgent, which means that the appointment will be within 2 weeks. This is normal.
Assuming you will be going to a one stop clinic, you will have a mammogram which will be assessed by a consultant. If they see something of concern, you will then have an ultrasound, and biopsies if necessary. By the end of your appointment, you will either be told it is benign and will have nothing to be worried about, or will know that the consultant believes the biopsies will show cancer and give you an appiontment for the results.
The majority of women referred to the breast clinic have a benign condition. If you are one of the minority, you can find lots of support on this site from lovely people who have been through exactly that.
I am 43, and was diagnoses in early January, with a lump which proved to be 2.7cm although it palpated much larger than that. It is easy to say don’t worry, but try to keep busy doing things you like, it helps prevent the worry demon moving in. Reality is rarely as bad as our imagination.
Best of luck, come back and let us know how your appointment went.
Cyber hugs, MM

Yep, all the same worries. The waiting is horrible, but you will get through it - try and keep in mind that over 80% of people seen at a breast clinic have benign results and that you have a greater chance of being in that group than the other. Whatever happens you will be in good hands, and will be able to come here for support and advice any time. There isn’t a person here who wont understand what you are going through.
Try not to fret about the speed of the appointment, as Mungos Mum has said -all women with a lump are seen within two weeks of referral, this has been in place since 2010. Your doctor is just following the guidelines set out by NICE for the management of breast problems. Here’s hoping the wait will go quickly and that you will soon get the reassurance you need. Take care.

hi
yea, i was scared at the speed of it all but thats a good thing, they do move quick, quick is normal. the waiting and worry exaggerates everything out of proportion sometimes too, and suddenly seems extremely slow so if you find things becoming a little overwhelming we are all here for you.
good luck, happy thoughts
angie x