Capecitabine- stomach pains

Hi,
I’m at the end of week 2 of my third cycle of Capecitabine. I had quite bad diarrhoea in the last 2 cycles, but this cycle have not only had constant diarrhoea (I haven’t had a solid poo for weeks) but also severe stomach pains. These seem to be worse when I eat or after I’ve eaten, although they come and go all day. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you found anything to help?
I am taking loperamide, usually around 6 per day, is it ok to take this many on a daily basis?
I am going to talk to the team when I next go in for bloods, but any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’m struggling to cope.
Thank you.
Lisa x

1 Like

that sounds just horrible and restrictive. I am sure you can take a lot more loperamide, what does it say on the packet? I had a friend a long time ago that took about 6 after each meal! It was for a different reason but still…
Also, why don’t you call your BCN on Tuesday rather than waiting for when you go in for bloods?
Good luck…X

Hi CLC
It says max 8 in 24 hours on the packet, but it’s good to know your friend took more than that. It’s the stomach pain that is really getting me down. I’ll try my BCN on Tuesday as you suggest and see if she has any ideas about the maximum dose.
Thank you for replying x

1 Like

I had bad stomach ache like period pain however at 69 thats highly unlikely​:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:thers obvs not alot wrong with my memory!!!

1 Like

Hi. I started cycle 4 of capecitabine yesterday and also suffer from diarrhoea in the 3rd week. I take buscapan for the tummy cramps. Hope it calms down for us both. Xx

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I spoke to my team on Tuesday and ended up in A&E having IV fluids due to the severity of the diarrhoea and they have prescribed buscopan so fingers crossed that helps with the pains. I have had my fourth cycle cancelled and seeing oncologist tomorrow.
It would be lovely to hear how you get on with your fourth cycle; hope it all goes well and things settle down and get easier for you.
Lisa x

1 Like

Hi Lisa sorry to hear about your A&E visit but happy they helped. When i had previous targeted treatments cancelled it was because white blood cell count was low. You are doing amazingly. Keep going. I’m 4 days in to cycle 4 and feeling fabulous . I’m also going to a Whitney Houston tribute tomorrow evening. X

1 Like

Hi CC,
Just thought I’d give an update. I saw my oncologist who said I might have an infection which could be treated, but all tests have now come back negative for infection so the chemo nurse said it must just be cape side effects. I’ve been told I can take more than 8 loperamide a day and to take codeine too. I start cycle 4 this Friday. I have been feeling quite a bit better over the last couple of days, so not really looking forward to it.
I hope you’re still feeling well and enjoyed your Whitney tribute :blush:
Lisa x