capecitabine

Hi I have just started Capecitabine now on my second day, I have also been given anti sickness, tablets for pins and needles, mouth wash and more tablets for the runs,. Its all very confusing, especially, having to eat a biscutit in the moring with my cup of tea, as I am told I have to eat something before takeing the Capecitaine. Is this very important especially at night bout 8pm I have to eat something agian just to take the tablet. Do I really have to do this as its seems very ridged, Of course I will If I have to but just wondered how every one else copes with this 12 between and eating before taking it. Love to hear from someone one

Gilly

Hello Gillieflowers

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of knowledge between them.

I have put a link to a BCC publication which may help you. If you would like to talk to someone in confidence then please do phone the helpline here where you can talk to a trained member of staff. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

breastcancercare.org.uk/search-results/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/116/

best wishes
June, moderator

Gilly
Yes, I’m getting used to Capecitabine too - just finished second cycle so am a bit ahead of you. My understanding is that a 12hr gap is best but that 10hrs is ok so I usually have my tablets after by breakfast and after evening meal so that does not cause me too much hassle. (My hassle is the Bondronat tablet for bone mets in the morming that I have to take on an empty stomach when I wake up and then can’t eat for 1hr so juggling that and Capecitabine in tricky…) I do know that they need to be taken with food so I’m making sure that I do that as a meal help drugs to be absorbed - am hoping a largish meal really helps…

Hope you settle into a routine ok and that you don’t have too many side effects either. Do keep in touch since we’re on a similar journey.

Fran

Hi Gilly, I’ve just bumped up a thread here you might find useful, the ‘Capecitabine/Xeloda anyone got any experience’ thread, yes as Fran has mentioned Capecitabine does need to be taken with a meal. I take mine with breakfast…approx 7am and then 2nd dose with supper…approx 7pm. Ten or twelve hour gap is fine and you do have to take the tablets within half an hour of eating. I’ve had very few problems with this chemo and have been on it since April 2008 ('cos I have secondaries) never needed any of the meds they give you for nausea etc except I do have to buy cream for dry hands and feet. Good Luck…x