Caring for your partner in their last weeks and months

Hi,

My partner Christine has been my absolute world and safety net for nearly 3 and a half years.

After 2 years of having Triple Negative Breast Cancer and now being given a prognosis of weeks or months to live, it’s absolutely broken my heart.

Shes home with a hospital bed, limited mobility and unable to much for herself. I’m caring for her full time and away from family and friends. Its distressing and a lot.

I’d love to hear from others experiencing the same to feel less alone and share a conversation.

Ella

Hi Ella, 

I am so sorry. 

I am here if you would like to chat. I do not have TNBC (I am HER2+) and thought Christine was doing well with her treatment and the trial? It must be so difficult for you. Please do PM me if I can be of any help. I often can’t sleep and like writing letters. 

Angel Eyes x

Ella, my heartfelt sympathy to you both. What a terrible situation. Yes, you need to reach out for help, both practical and emotional. If you have been provided with a hospital bed, dare I hope that you are being well supported via NHS or similar? As for emotional support for yourself, I think you could, and should, pick up the phone and contact this wonderful charity. Professional help is on tap. Marie Curie, Macmillan and Maggies Centres all support people effected by cancer, as well as affected. Penny Brohn provides on line meditations which I find useful. I’ve just participated in one this morning . There is an end of life thread on here, and perhaps there is support coming your way from there. Be kind to yourself in the forthcoming days, weeks, months. Think of the good times, and how your world has been enriched by your lovely partner. Ann x

Hi Ella,

We’re so sorry to read about Christine’s prognosis, and we want you to know that we are here for you. As mentioned by other users, our nurses can offer support, information, or just a listening ear. You can speak to them on 0808 800 6000.

We have some information on our website which may help support you during this time. 

Sending hugs and love to you both  :two_hearts:

Saskia 

Thank you all so much.

Christine passed away on Friday 12th Feb with me sleeping by her side.

I’m utterly broken but hoping I did the best for her in her last few weeks.