Changing lump

Hi sorry for the long post….

I found a lump in June in my left breast when I was 4 weeks postpartum, during my 2 week wait the lump disappeared and the consultant confirmed he couldn’t feel anything but would do a mammo and ultrasound. Both showed nothing in my left breast it was all clear but an opacity was found in the right!! After 2 biopsies this was confirmed as benign and I was signed off back to the GP in August.

Roll on to 9 weeks ago I found another lump near my under arm in the left side. I waited to see if it would go then went to the gp. She said wait a few weeks then she’ll refer me if it’s still there. I went back 2 weeks ago and yes it was still there so have now been referred. The thing with this lump it changes through the day. It starts off really small in the morning like a peppercorn then grows to a pea and shrinks back down overnight. This morning when I checked it it burst like a bubble and disappeared but came back again. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Also if it was cancerous could this have been missed by a mammo and ultrasound 6 months ago?

Sorry again for the long post just worried

Many thanks

The nurses are off until the 27th

From my own experience my lump was solid and didn’t change in size and shape. I can’t say what yours is but I understand your worry.

You say you have been referred, do you have a date yet?

My only reassurance is that I’ve been told several times that most breast cancer is not a medical emergency and a short wait to be checked is quite normal. I waited over 50 days from diagnosis to surgery with lots of test in between and my lump had not grown.

Hello firsttimemum

Thank you for your post.

As @naughty_boob said it’s understandable you are worried as a first-time mum and as you have now found a new lump under your arm. Breast changes and under arm changes can happen for many reasons. They may be due to hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle or due to benign conditions (not cancer).

It’s not possible for us to say what is causing your symptoms, however it’s reassuring that you previously had a normal ultrasound and a mammogram. A breast cancer does not normally shrink and grow intermittently.

However, it’s important to be breast aware during and after pregnancy so it’s good to hear you have seen the GP and that you have been referred back to the breast clinic to get the lump checked out.

Waiting to be seen can cause a lot of worry so do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We are closed:

Monday 1 January

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.