Chemo eyesight side effect

Hello,

I just had my first chemo session 6 days ago (Doxatel, herceptin, perjeta, carboplatin) I noticed my vision it’s pretty blurry (especially day 6 post chemo). Is that a normal side effect?

Hello aroja086,
I had this after my EC chemo, they thought it was from the steroids I took afterwards. They reduced the steroid dose for my next round of chemo which helped, but didn’t stop it completely. Definitely an unexpected side effect. Mention it to your nurses and very best wishes withnyour chemo.

Thank you!

I had blurred vision during my chemotherapy but it got worse after my radiotherapy although I did go to the optician for a eye check they found I had very dry eyes and I was given drops which has made them better . They did say my eyes had deteriorated but my oncologist told me not to change my glasses and to go back in six months and have another eye test. I have been using the drops for a month now and my Vision is a lot better and obviously I have finished my treatment.

That’s great to hear. It just caught me off guard. I was expecting lots of stomach issues after chemo 1 (which sure enough I’ve been having) but nothing related to my eyesight.

Yes I too had some eye /vision issues during chemo - mainly with close up, but 10 weeks past last dose it’s all resolved. X

1 Like

Hi aroja086

Thanks for your post asking if it is normal to have experience blurred vision while having the chemotherapy drugs doxetaxel, Herceptin, Perjeta and carboplatin.

As suedot, Galaq and janeymay7 say, blurred vision can be a side effect of some chemotherapy drugs. It’s usually temporary and returns to normal after treatment. However, it’s difficult to know exactly what might be causing your blurred vision so we suggest contacting your treatment team, GP or breast care nurse, if you have one, to find out the most likely cause and what might help. You could also talk to your local pharmacist about this.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Teresa

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.