Chemo

Hi I can’t find the way to do this. I had my first one on Thursday 28th September. 5 days later I feel like **bleep**. I need help to come to terms with the way I feel. Don’t know what I fancy to eat drink etc can’t seem to get out of bed. Waking up every hour through the night sweating . I don’t think i can carry on this way. ?

Hi Abella,

I’m really sorry to hear you’re feeling this way, it sounds like it’s been taking its toll on you since your first treatment.

If you’d like some support around this, please do feel free to call our nurses, they’re on 0808 800 6000.

Take care of yourself,

Becca at Breast Cancer Care.

Hi Abella
Sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly. You might fine it helpful to join the chemo starter threads for September and October. You will be able to chat with ladies going through chemo and they are a huge source of support, especially in the middle of the night. I had my first chemo in May and found it to be very challenging at times but it is doable and a bit like childbirth in that once it’s over the brain let’s you forget the worst bits.
I Hope you feel better soon.
Jacq x

Hi Abella
I just wanted to add that the first week is the hardest. You will then start to feel more like yourself. If you took steroids, then this will affect your sleep and give you night sweats. But again, this will pass very soon.
Try to keep up your fluid intake, as this will wash the chemo through your system. And just have small amounts of food, whatever you can manage.
And rest as much as possible.
Sue xx

Poor you Abella,

I find that days 4,5 & 6 are when I feel at my worst. I get night sweats and feel exhausted. However after a week I am back to normal and enjoy 2 weeks of feeling well before the next one.

I have found that plain foods are best, crackers and cheese seem to be my go to foods when I don’t fancy anything. Also a Consultant recommended having a yakult everyday to protect my stomach lining, worth a try!

You can do this Abella, like JacqB says, you definitely do forget most of it after!

Sending you big hugs xxx

How are you today Abella? Xx

Hi sue
Thank you for your messages. I’m a little better today and had my last injection too. The thought of bieng the same next time haunts me. I’ve actually stayed up today and will try to get out for a little walk tomorrow. I organised the big pink event for Saturday of which my friends are taking over to help but will try and make an appearance.
Will this be the norm every time or does it get easier.
Thanks again
Abella

Hi Abella
You will find that you gradually improve over the next few days. For me, the last injection signalled that I was over the worse. I’m sure you will be able to venture out on Saturday.
I found that each cycle was very similar. I know that sounds daunting, but it does mean you know what’s coming. It is easier to prepare, and to accept that certain days will be rubbish, but also knowing that it will end, and you will be back to normal after a certain time. It’s helpful to keep a diary, so you know what side effects you get on different days.
Take it easy now, and you will be fine.
Sue xx