Chemotherapy aching arm

Hi, I am presently going through chemotherapy and my lower arm has started to hurt when i stretch it out. Is there anything I can do about this?

1 Like

I found a heat pad that you microwave helped and also my team advised ibuprofen gel but please do check with them. Also just as precaution keep eye on your fingers and hand for any signs of swelling and if it looks like it, please do phone your team /rapid response immediately :heart: just to get it checked over that all ok. I know this is ask the nurse bit but wanted to share from my personal experience. Hope that helps a bit :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like

Hi Claire.S

Thanks for posting.

Pain in and around the area of the arm where chemotherapy is given can happen for a number of reasons. It can be caused by irritation to the veins in the area (phlebitis), but in some cases is due to the formation of blood clots within the veins.

As @Shi helpfully mentions, it’s important to keep an eye out for any other symptoms, but also to let your team know about the pain you’ve been experiencing so far so that they can check the cause.

Many people do find that a heat pad and ibuprofen gels can help with pain caused by phlebitis, but your treatment team are best placed to assess your symptoms and give you further advice on how to manage them.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.

1 Like