Clear mammogram but cancer in my lymph nodes

Hi. I have just had my annual mammogram after having been given the all clear from DCIS after four surgeries last July 2022.
The mammogram didn’t show any cancer, however they checked my lymph nodes under ultrasound and took a biopsy. They have found cancer cells. My consultant said it is unusual but possibly due to four surgeries and radiotherapy there could be something hidden.
I had a full body CT scan yesterday and am having an MRI next week for them to see clearer. Lower back pain is causing concern too which is why my consultant went for the full body CT scan.
All very difficult and the waiting is the worst but they are doing everything very quickly thankfully.
The least will be surgery to remove lymph nodes. I am trying not to think ahead but can’t help fearing the worst.
Last year I was very positive most of the time. I wasn’t expecting this at all, nor was my consultant. The unknown makes me so scared.
Has anyone had similar?
Thanks.

7 Likes

Hi @KazED

I am sorry you haven’t had a response to your question. I am sorry to hear what you’re going through, it is not a surprise that you feel afraid of the unknown.

I am sure someone will be able to share their experience with you. In the meantime please know that our nurses are here for you any time, here on the forum on the Ask our Nurses your questions or over the phone 0808 800 6000.

Sending our love,
Lucy

2 Likes

Hi Lucy.
Thank you for replying. Scans both done so it’s a very stressful waiting game again. The radiographer said results would take two weeks. I will speak to my BCN tomorrow as I think they were expecting the results quickly.

1 Like

Dear KazED,

I can see the lovely nurses on the site have replied to you, I’m so sorry to read your post, unfortunately I can’t help you very much, however would like to wish you well for a speedy recovery.

Take one day at a time with lots of TLC do let us know now your doing and hope your test results are with you very soon.

Biggest hugs Tili​:pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

2 Likes

I feel a bit like you too…I had triple negative cancer diagnosed in September 2021, hard course of chemo, mastectomy with most lymph nodes removed, radiotherapy and all clear from biopsies, chemo port removed in December 2022. My six month scan in February 2023 however was shocking and revealed cancer in both sides of my body in the lymph nodes, everyone including the oncologist was shocked, it was a different cancer, hormone receptor positive oestrogen this time, started treatment hormone therapy for that, scan three months later showed vast growth of cancer, seemingly the triple negative come back, I did say a few rude words. Anyway now on oral chemo, xeloda as it’s too spread out to operate, and so far so good, I haven’t lost my hair, I look well which is weird for everyone, oral chemo is lighter and easier to cope with, mainly tiredness and sore feet, I have been positive throughout, some days are hard though, I know how you feel, but it may not be surgery, we are all different and it’s better to know you have it and treat it than not know, try to be positive and trust the doctors and keep talking about it, it does help. Sending you big virtual hugs ne good thoughts.

3 Likes

Hello, I might be a bit similar in that I got a recurrence about 5 years ago but it was in the opposite armpit to the original breast. I got put on Palbociclib yet got a small other recurrence on that side 2 years later. I had a CT scan recently which is clear. It’s a strange and unpredictable disease. I hope this helps you. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you @Lambkin36

Thank you @Tili

Thank you @Babiecat and everyone.
Talking does help. I have been very open with everyone throughout and the kindness, humour and people just asking how I am definitely helps. Same as last year, I will continue working up until surgery day as it keeps me occupied and not thinking too much. Biggest hugs to you too.
I have had both scans now and have an appointment with my consultant on Tuesday. He has some results back - assuming the CT and bloods. I thought all the biopsies, surgeries and radiotherapy last year was bad but lucky compared to many. My biggest fear is chemo, closely followed by mastectomy.
I’ll let you know how I get on. xo

Be strong and chins up! We are all going through it with you, it’s just rubbish but we need to keep fighting. Xx

1 Like