Confirmed breast lump

Hi,

I posted this on someone else’s topic as I wasn’t sure how to start my own but now I know so…

I found a lump in my breast a few weeks ago and waited to see if there was any change. The lump was confirmed today by my GP who says it’s a small, hard pea shaped lump. She says there’s nothing to worry about but because of government regulations has referred me to a breast clinic.

I’m sure there are loads of topics on this already, but can anyone please tell me what I should expect? Thanks

Hi Vicstafini,

Welcome to the forums where I’m sure you’ll get lots of support. While you’re waiting for your fellow forum users to reply, I’ve put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications ‘Referral to a breast clinic’ which you may find useful.

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59/

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

hiya vicstafini

most clinics offer whats called a triple test and are able to tell you a diagnosis on the day as a one-stop clinic but this isnt the same everywhere.

the triple test consists of a manual examination, a screening test such as mammogram or ultrasound or both and diagnostic test which involves taking a sample of the lump… it can be a fine needle aspiration (FNA) which takes fluid from the lump or a core biopsy which actually takes a sample of the lump or it can be both.

you can sometimes be diagnosed without having all the tests say it was a cyst it could show up on ultrasound as a cyst without needing a biopsy, but having a biopsy doesnt mean its definitely cancer.

if your unit doesnt or cant tell you on the day you would normally have to go back a few days later to get the results.

fingers crossed its good news but we are all here for you regardless.

Lulu

Thanks for your support. My appointment is on the 2nd of Feb so I’ll let you all know how I get on.

I had all three tests that lulu described manual/mammo/ultrasound, but had to wait 2 weeks for my result then had biopsy, then wait another 2 weeks for the result of the biopsy. It seems to be different everywhere.

Good luck Vic

All the very best for tomorrow, i’ll be thinking of you, i go on Wednesday, let us know how you get on, take care x

Helzbelz