Confused, why do I need to go back to breast clinic in 6 weeks?

Hi everyone, can anyone shine any light on this. I had an appt at breast clinic this morning (ridge under nipple and lumpy skin above it). Mammogram and ultrasound showed nothing which was a relief. When I saw the consultant again who had examined me earlier, he did a needle test, don’t know if blood test or tissue, I was taken aback as thought I wd have been discharged. Waited for results which he said had come back ok and lump was poss thickened tissue due to hrt. I was expecting to be discharged (again!!) yet he said he wanted to arrange a follow up appt in 6 weeks and I had to keep an eye on the lump and any changes. Is this purely precautionary and the norm? I feel happy at the results today don’t get me wrong just don’t understand why I gotta go back and wondered if anyone had had a similar experience? Thanks for listening to my ramblings xx

Hi keswickgirl1965

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experience and knowledge you might find it helpful to talk through your thoughts and questions with a membe rof staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your cocners with some onw who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

They don’t waste time and effort if it’s not needed, just be glad they’re keeping a close eye on you for any change. Look at it the other way, if they discharged you and you went back in a couple of months time, saying your condition had altered, you would be asking why they hadn’t foreseen this. They have got to cover themselves and you. go with the flow and keep safe xxx