Continued hair shedding after chemotherapy

I finished neo adjuvant chemo four weeks ago (12 x weekly Paclitaxel, 4 x fortnightly EC cycles) and used the cold cap throughout. It worked really well until I moved onto EC and then I started experiencing much more shedding (eyebrows and eyelashes almost disappeared too). Overall I know I’m really lucky as still had fairly good coverage (although much thinner) but since ending chemo, shedding has continued at the same level and it’s now very thin on top and at the back and bald patches are starting to develop. I was told it usually stops around 2-3 weeks after chemo so wondered if this is normal and others have experienced this?

Sorry to anyone reading this if they’ve had greater hair loss by this point - I’ve found this process really emotional but really feel for others who have gone through worse x

Hi ali2023

Thank you for posting.

We hear from many people who find hair loss a difficult side effect to cope with, and it’s understandable that you feel emotional about your hair thinning during treatment.

For some people hair loss can continue after chemotherapy has finished. For many, their hair can start to regrow within a few weeks but for others this may take longer. If you continue to lose hair you can talk to your breast care nurse or treatment team. They may want to take a blood test to check for things like anaemia or vitamin deficiencies that may affect how your body recovers. Often it is just time that is needed to recover from the chemotherapy treatment.

You may find the Cancer Hair Care website helpful. They have lots of information about hair loss and tips for looking after your hair as it starts to regrow.

You can also search in this area of the forum to read about other people’s experiences of hair regrowth after chemotherapy or post a question if you feel comfortable to do so.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Cassie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.