cording - advice please

Hi all, had an mx on the 8th Nov and now worried I might be developing cording as I have c pain running down the inside of my arm. Is there any way of preventing this getting worse other than the bcc exercise leaflet exercises?
Many thanks
Herbi x

Hi Herbi

I am posting a link to the BCC publication ‘Your operation and recovery’ which discusses cording:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/your-operation-recovery-bcc151

If you wish to call our helpliners they will be more than happy to talk to you about your concerns, the lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2 on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy

Hiya Herbi how you doing? sorry to hear you are going through that too, mine is driving me nuts only advice I can give is keep up with the exercises because the more you do it the easier it get, Libralady agrees with that advice too we have just been discussing it on “Our Journey” mine felt like someone had tied weights to my wrist and someone else had tied an elastic band around my upper arm and kept twisting it, oh joy! but it is slowly getting better with the help of an excellent physio, good luck x

Hi Herbi,

I had surgery a month ago. I saw my surgeon 10 days ago who referred me for physiotherapy due to cording. However, I continued with the exercises, had my physio appointment this morning - and it’s got better just by continuing with the exercises.

So, I’d say, persevere, do them diligently, and when you see your surgeon for your follow up they’ll look at you anyway and refer you to a physio if it looks like there’s going to be a problem.

x

I had quite bad cording and still have it occasionally several years later.! My advice: try to avoid ANYTHING that could constrict your arm/wrist, and if cording happens slowly stretch your arm with your wrist bent downwards as hard as you can . Keep doing it as you need to, even if it hurts. It’s the only thing that really worked (works) for me. Later,if you swim, that helps a lot to prevent it. Best wishes, Mo xx

I had my op (Mx with axillary clearance and immediate LD flap reconstruction) on 14th October. I’ve developed cording too. It’s been the most painful thing out of everything but is improving gradually. As well as the exercises my physio advised me to massage in circular movements in my arm pit using the flat of my hand. You can feel the tight cords in the arm pit when you do this. I do lying on my bed with arm out to the side as far as it will go. Then do some massgae and then I can take it further. Seems to help.

Good luck.

I got cording after my WLE operation. Can only echo what the others say keep on with the exercises and it gets better eventually - but mine took a couple of months.
Also I found it was better if I kept my arm warm and straight in bed at night. Although can’t be helped if you turn over I suppose.
Hope it feels better soon.
Lin