Could this be cancer

So 5 weeks ago I found a red mark on my breast, pain in the breast itching, almost feels like burning. Went to doc, prescribed me with antibiotics for mastitis. 1 week on a lump formed, still red and hurting. Back to doc’s, 2 lots of antibiotics now. 1 week on, no better now the lump seems to have become a long red mark along my breast, like thicking. Still waiting for an appointment with the breast clinic. No pus come out, just to me looks like a red raised angry scar.
As anyone else had this before. I have had cysts removed from breasts before, and it’s never been like this… it’s always hurt to touch and pus leaking. This doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t move around. Nothing is coming out of it. I’ve taken some photos. Please note, I’ve had a breast reduction 24 yrs ago and have scarring. I also have had a papilloma removed from my breast 10 years ago.

[Admin note: Photo removed in line with our photography guidelines]

Hi emmielou81,

Thank you for posting. We are unable to comment on photographs, but it is understandable that you have questions about the redness, pain, itching and lump that you have noticed for the last few weeks.

Breast changes can happen for many reasons. They may be due to hormonal changes as part of your monthly cycle (if you are still having periods) or due to benign conditions (not cancer) such as mastitis.

For more information see our booklet Know your breasts: a guide to breast awareness and screening.

As you have noticed these changes and they are not getting better with antibiotics we would suggest you make another appointment with your GP to be assessed again. You can also ask them to follow up your referral to the breast clinic.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Good Friday 29 March, open on Saturday 30 March and closed on Easter Monday 1 April.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Katy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.