Could this mean secondaries in the lung?

Hi,

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this? I’m just 18 months from diagnosis (stage 3, ER+, HER2+, 10 of 20 lymph nodes affected, all whipped out and boob removed). I’ve had the usual round of chemo, radio and herceptin (which I came off after about 10 months as it caused me heart problems). I thought - hooray - I can relax a little. Then shortly after coming off herceptin I started getting an ache in my right side under the ribs and a very slight cough with breathing difficulties that increased over 2 weeks.

An ultrasound and chest x ray showed fluid on the lungs (well, in the cavity around it), and I’ve just spent a few days in hospital having 3 litres drained. I still have a slight ache in the side, but not as bad as before.

I had a CT scan and am due for the results on Thurs. Obviously I’m terrified that this is not just a recurrence but basically the end. My cancer is an aggressive b*gger and if it’s back after only 18 months I can’t see where we’d go from here in terms of treatment.

One thing I’m really scared about is pain. In hospital it took them a while to get the pain meds right, and if having secondaries means alot more pain, how do you cope? I’m also terrified at the thought of being doped up on morphine in a hospice. I know people may think I’m jumping the gun here, but this time round I’ve found the only way I can cope is to prepare for the worst. Also, getting the fears down on the page really does help!

Does anyone have a similar tale to tell? I’d really appreciate the wisdom of your experiences.

Thanks
Laura

Hello laura46

Welcome to the forums. This must be a very difficult time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Laura46,
Sorry to hear about your lung fluid; 3L must have given you so much pain and difficulty breathing. I do sympathise; my BC dx came afteins week on a chest drain for a pneumothorax after severge shortness of breath, apparently completely unrelated to the BC.
How did you get on with your CT scan? I am waiting for one this month and feeling anxious. Any words of wisdom you can share? I hope things have worked out ok for you.
Lisa