Counselling recommendations

Hi

I am looking for recommendations or ideas for counselling (I am located in Mid Kent). I was diagnosed with stage 4 BC (with secondary in liver and bone in January 2022). Had successful 5 months of chemo followed by approx 18 months of Phesgo (plus Denosumab and Tamoxifen). Everything was looking great, tumours reduced, everything “stable” until 11th October 2023 and boom! I now learn it’s spread to the brain. Too severe and widespread for surgery so I had 2 weeks of intense radiotherapy. Early signs are encouraging and there has been shrinkage which is amazing- but I still have a long way to go. Treatment plan is now Kadcyla for the foreseeable, hoping to reduce the tumours and give me more time. I am hopeful but also I am a realise and frankly I am angry and terrified.

I have amazing friends and family, I’ve joined a few groups, both online and in person but now feel, maybe the time is right to get some counselling support. I did try CBT earlier this year. Didn’t work for me, didn’t connect with the person at all.

Anyone have any recommendations and experiences for this to share?

Thanks so much! x

2 Likes

So sorry you’re having a rubbish time. The only thing I’ve learnt of interest on the subject is that near me in Guildford there’s something called The Fountain Centre.
They offer various alternative therapies and counselling for cance patients and their families.
I would imagine there must be other similar centres around the country.
Could always ring them and see if they keep a directory of similar centres.
I’ve been for acupuncture and I’m booked for 3 more sessions plus hypnotherapy to try and help my anxiety and insomnia. I will take up the counselling too if necessary. It’s all offered free effectively with the option of making a donation if you wish xx

1 Like

Hi
I am having counselling via MacMillan. There is a Mac centre in my hospital (Southampton) and I popped in to chat and ask for it. You can call Macmillan and I think ask for counselling support. I do mine over the phone so no need to travel.
I hope you have a good Christmas. It’s a weird headspace to be in for us all this year.
X

2 Likes

I’m sorry you are now facing all this - all so very hard . I was diagnosed in April with stage 4 - bone only thus far but next CT scan may show different.
Are you anywhere near a hospice? When I was diagnosed in April I asked to be referred to Hospice in the Weald and have benefited from 10 sessions of counselling ( plus seated exercises classes ) . It’s very empowering and encouraging being involved there . I found the counselling helpful just to let off / cry etc .
I don’t know if other hospices do similar. Don’t think of hospices as ‘the end ‘ . It seems to me that a very large part of their work is with people way before the end who are living with stage 4 - sometimes for years .
I did early on get MacMillan to refer me to counselling and that would have been via someone they outsourced to - and by phone or zoom . The hospice counselling came up first as it happened .
I hope you can find something helpful .
Best wishes .

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion about the hospice. When I saw my oncologist just after the spread to the brain he did mention about connecting me to my local hospice, I said I would think about it…… now you’ve mentioned it, I think I will speak to him again. Thank you x

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply and the MacMillan suggestion x

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I do already have some alternative therapies and I agree, they help somewhat. I think I am still coming to terms with my new prognosis after having a pretty good run so that’s why I think I could benefit from some 1-2-1 chats x

2 Likes

Hi

Sorry to hear your news. As others have said MacMillan offer counselling via Bupa. Your hospital can refer you as well. The hospice sounds like a good option.

Mindfulness has helped me with my diagnosis and treatment. I use the Headspace app Get some Headspace – Penny Brohn UK

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like