Craving sweet things during and just after radiotherapy

I don’t usually have a sweet tooth, but since my radiotherapy which started on 2nd October I really want to eat anything with sugar…like my body is telling me thats what it needs!

Has anyone else noticed this or am I just looking for excuses to eat cake? :thinking:
Lisa

3 Likes

Hi Lisa

It would be great if that WAS what our bodies really needed wouldn’t it ? :rofl:.
When I was having radiotherapy I felt a bit off immediately after every treatment - liked I’d worked a nightshift . Once I’d had a sit down a coffee and a piece of cake I was fine for the rest of the day . After treatment had finished I had fatigue and often felt sick ( nausea is something I am prone to ) and couldn’t eat anything but once I had started to eat something which was usually a ginger biscuit , I felt better. I already had a sweet tooth so I did then find it hard to control the cravings and I am now losing the weight I started putting back on at that time.

Radiotherapy is a stress on your body and I think it’s just looking for energy / an instant boost . In the short term it shouldn’t hurt and especially if you don’t normally have a sweet tooth then hopefully this will be just a temporary phase. Not everyone gets fatigue and even less experience nausea but if it happens don’t get frustrated with yourself . Give yourself time to get over it drink plenty of water and schedule a rest into your day .

Wishing you a swift recovery
Joanne x

2 Likes

Dear Lisa,

Well done for getting this far with your treatment, wishing you well going forward for an excellent outcome.

As regards a sweet tooth, try not to worry too much at the moment, keep an eye on your weight, however I think you deserve anything your heart desires after what you have been through.

Keep well, be happy, enjoy life

Biggest hugs Tili :rainbow::pray::rainbow::pray:

Thank you both for responding. Interesting to hear about your coffee and cake restoratives Joanne.

I’m just going to go with it for now, I’m only one week post radiotherapy after all!

1 Like

I finished my five radiotherapy sessions last week, and the hunger is like nothing I’ve ever experienced before! I’m sure I could eat a whole roast beef joint if it was offered! Oddly enough, when I would normally prefer sweet foods, it’s actual proper food I’m craving!

1 Like