Daughter with triple negative Breast cancer

Hi. My daughter (30years old) was diagnosed in the last few weeks with triple negative breast cancer. Around 6 months previously she had shingles. I am now querying if there is a link and the shingles appeared because of her undiagnosed (not aware at that time) cancer? Has anyone you know (or yourself) had the same happen?

She is very strong and determined but it has been extremely hard. She has a long road ahead but is assured she will be ‘cured’. We are all hoping this is the case of course. Thank you. Roll on next year when it will be hopefully all over.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a link between the two specifically but I’ve heard that it’s not uncommon to have a health issue or flare up of something just prior to diagnosis. I had a terrible throat infection a week prior to finding the lump in my breast (I’m also triple negative) and in retrospect I wonder if my body was just struggling to cope. I hope your daughter’s treatment goes well x

2 Likes

Hi I didn’t have the same situation but I was 35 when I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer also under my arm lymph nods also cancer. I was diagnosed in the October 22 started treatment in the November finished all treatment last September all clear after surgery they didn’t find any cancer. I have yearly mammogram till I’m 50. I did 8 rounds off chemo every 3 weeks finished chemo in the may had surgery in the June then had radiotherapy in the September. IV just my yearly mammogram came bk clear.
Any questions feel free to meAssge.
It is a long road and hard but she’s strong so she has got this. Thinking off u all good luck :crossed_fingers: x

2 Likes

Thank you both so much. We are all swinging from positivity to desperation and sobbing. I can’t help googgling everything which I know is a mistake but can’t stop myself. Always looking for positives and occasionally finding the ‘wrong’ things. Hearing from you both is a positive so thank you from the bottom of my heart. Best of luck and wishes to you both xxx

2 Likes

Hello!
I’m 28 and was diagnosed in March with triple negative. I didnt have a flare up or anything like that but I just wanted to say, please do not google anything. I know its easier said than done but I had an appointment with my oncologist yesterday and explained to her how my mental health is really struggling due to being diagnosed with TNBC. She said to me that almost everything on google is outdated now as there is new treatment and ongoing research into triple negative. She told me off for googling :joy:.
Ive told all my family to stay off google because it is so negative but the reality of it is, no one knows what the future holds for any of us and we’ve just got to ride this wave. My oncologist is sending me out more leaflets and information websites, so as soon as i have them, ill pop them in here x

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, it’s always good to hear positive stories for Tnbc x

2 Likes

@glitteryrainbow - such good advice, googling TNBC can cause so much worry, and as you say, a lot of the information is out of date. I’ve focused on reading a couple of really helpful and positive books - Reconstruction by Rosamund Dean and A Survivors Guide to Triple Negative Breast Cancer by Michele Solak-Edwards. They’ve both been published in the last two years and are full of useful information. Most importantly of all they focus on the positives, which I found really reassuring. Both include lots of case studies from long term survivors of TNBC - I really would recommend them x

4 Likes

Gosh thank you so much. I promise not to google anymore :see_no_evil:. Plus I’ll certainly look out for those books and pass them to my daughter. We’re at the start of her journey and honestly never thought for a second we’d be having to go through this. Of course you’ll have all been there too and I’m so sorry. Wishing you all the best wishes xxx

2 Likes

:heart:a good book that helped me is surviving triple negative breast cancer by Patricia Prijatel a 2 x tnbc survivor :heart: do see if there are any trials she might be eligible for too :heart: I always kept eye on md Anderson in Texas too, they are good to keep eye on when googling gets the better of you :heart:you also might want to read up about Robin Roberts a USA TV host and also Joan Lunden both tnbc survivors :heart: do encourage your daughter to join these threads when she is ready or even read the threads when she is ready, this can be both your safe space where everyone will help, listen and understand, share tips and tricks and just :two_women_holding_hands: each step of the way through :heart: this is Breast Cancer Now and everyone is here as much or as little as you need us :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like