Day one for me today

Hi

Hello to everyone on the forum :slight_smile:

Well, today I received my diagnosis of ductal cancer - and boy are my eyes sore from crying!

Mammogram clear - ultrasound found something, but it was not felt to be suspicious, but biopsy confirms stage 3. Totally floored and sick to my stomach - and I am sure everyone knows the feeling

I have received fabulous service today, but so much to take in. Advised that MRI scan will determine lumpectomy or mastectomy and that is scheduled for tues. 

Is an MRI routine, or should I be concerned (well more than I am already!!!) 

Kind regards

Hi vegasgirl

Welcome here, yes many of our users will know just how you are feeling and I’m sure you will find the support you are looking for

Please also feel free to join current threads where you will find shared experiences and support, here’s a few you may find helpful:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/Just-diagnosed-and-wanting-to-talk-to-people-who-understand/m-p/947585#U947585

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/Diagnosed-yesterday-grade-3-3cm-breast-cancer-Help/m-p/954729#U954729

Our helpliners are also on hand for you with practical and emotional support so please do call to talk things through on 0808 800 6000, weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

You will find lots of information about diagnosis and further support via this link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/diagnosed-breast-cancer/primary-breast-cancer/invasive-ductal-breast-cancer

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi, so sorry to hear of your results but just wanted to assure you that there are certainly a lot of us out here who know how you are feeling. We have all been through this awful stage, it’s the worst bit, waiting to find out exactly what’s going to happen. Sorry I don’t know enough to say whether MRI is routine or not, but I’m sure there are plenty of ladies who have had this and know more than me. I suspect it might be that different hospitals and surgeons use different methods, but whatever happens please feel confident that everything that can be done will be done, and that it is all designed to get you back to full health. Breast cancer is so treatable now, and although the treatment is sometimes difficult, it will be very effective. Believe me, you will feel much better when you know what’s going to happen - good luck and remember if you need advice or support, this is the best place to find it. There is always someone who has gone through it all before and come out the other side. You will too!

If you look at the thread Waiting for Scan Results and Scared, you will see some ladies talking about MRI so it is not too unusual.

Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear your diagnosis. Mine was picked up from first ever mammogram, had ultrasound and then core biopsy. I had an MRI to check the size and if there was any further spread. Not sure how common MRI scans are but I think every hospital is different. It’s the waiting for the results which is the hardest part in all of this. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy, thankfully my tumour (12mm grade 2) was removed with clear margins. I’m doing well, just waiting to start radiotherapy soon. Wishing you well with your treatment. You will find a lot of support on this forum and answers to any questions you may have.

oh Vegas girl, do not cry! There are so many wonderful docs and new research findings out there, keep strong, bite the bullet, and read these inspiring threads instead x

Good luck tomorrow Vegas girl,it is a very anxious time but just think this time tomorrow you can tick this part of the saga off your list and are one step closer to beating the bugger.Had my op 18th June ,it’s not as bad as you may think,I was really anxious but it’s only one day in your life you will most prob be in your own bed this time tomorrow night.Jill

Hi Vegas girl,I felt very tearful for a couple of days after my op ,I think it was partly the effects of the anaesthetic and also I had been so stressed and anxious before the op it was a bit of a anxiety hangover.

That’s great news Vegas girl,you will sleep well tonight hopefully!!