DCIS, Forthcoming Surgery and time off work

Hi, I was diagnosed before Christmas with DCIS and have surgery Tuesday. I’ve got to go in to have the wire placed ready for surgery on Monday.  I am due to work this weekend at a busy nursing home with quite a lot of stress due to nature of job.  I was suffering with cold & cough before Christmas which is still lingering but I’m hoping it won’t delay surgery.  My partner was diagnosed just before me with terminally ill cancer and I am now his full-time carer although he is dependant but gets very tired and weak easily.  I am thinking of seeing my doctor tomorrow to see if he can sign me off work for this weekend as I am feeling extremely stressed and tired (the hospital will sign me off from work on Tuesday following surgery).  I’m hoping that the doctor will understand how I feel but at the moment I’m feeling perhaps I’m making a fuss about nothing.  I think everything has built up over a period of time.  Also we live on the second floor of a block of flats and going through social housing hoping to move to a more suitable accommodation on ground floor as my partner will obviously suffer especially as the cancer will eventually get worse.   Obviously with my partner’s diagnosis I went through the initial feelings of disbelief, shock, denial and then beginning to accept the situation but then I started to go through the same feelings with my own diagnosis. Hope someone can give me some advice or tips on how I’m feeling at the moment. 

Hello Penguin123

Welcome to the forums. 

I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, this must be a very difficult time for you.

As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes       

June, moderator

Hi Penguin.

It sounds as if you are going through a tremendous amount of stress. If you can afford to, then get yourself signed off. I can’t imagine that your doctor would have any problem in agreeing to this. I spoke with my GP a week before surgery and he immediately gave me a sick note for a month. Spend the weekend trying to get your thoughts in order and to gather strength to cope with what you have ahead of you. By the way, I had my op on 22 Dec (WLE and SNB) and apart from a few twinges and a bit of soreness, I’m feeling much better than I expected to. I remember talking to other women beforehand who told me this and being a bit sceptical, but it turned out to be true.

Please take care of yourself. You may have to be more selfish than you are used to being, but that is fine!

Love, Rose xx