DCIS journey

Hi All,

After some initial reservations about posting on any forum I have decided that this one is the most appropriate for me. We all need every support we can get don’t we? So I hope it helps others while also helping me.

I was diagnosed with 7.5mm. high grade DCIS in 24 May following a routine mammogram. Even after having a follow up mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy I was clinging on to the hope there was nothing wrong. I couldn’t feel any lumps and I felt fine so it must be OK right? Not so. 

I have never gone through so many emotions. At the initial diagnosis shock was coupled with relief that ’it could have been worse’. I know the prognosis is very good and I hold on to that but my mind would sometimes go to very dark places. After a few days of feeling absolutely terrible and feeling like I couldn’t deal with another day feeling that way, I decided something in my brain had to change. From that point on I have really worked on my mental health, including some hypnotherapy sessions to help me deal with a bit of surgery phobia! That’s another story again for another day! 

My surgery is scheduled for next week so it’s been a long 10 week wait. That’s been hard yet in another way has given me time to get my head around the diagnosis. It will be a mammoplasty and I am very fortunate to be having both breasts reduced. I have a very large bust (38HH) which has been the bane of my life so every cloud as they say. I will also be having Sentinal lymph node biopsy. 

Of course I am nervous and know that surgery is really just the beginning and there’s still some steps to get through before I am finally rid of this thing. 

Managing my mind has been key for me. I’ve been exercising regularly, meditating daily, have some really good, supportive family and friends. I’ve had good days, bad days and ok days. Now I am focusing on getting the op done and moving forward towards towards better days ahead. 

6 Likes

Hello CeCe1962
How are you and how did your surgery go? From your post, you were quite anxious about it all and working through all the numerous emotions.
Wishing you a smooth recovery.
I myself am 8 weeks on from a mastectomy and reconstruction surgery with an implant on left breast after being diagnosed with high grade DCIS. I too had symmetry surgery on the right for balance. I was fortunate that all has gone well and the overriding emotion is one of relief that this early stage cancer was picked up early on my first ever mammogram.

4 Likes

Hello
I feel exactly the same - impostor syndrome is apt. First mammogram, 2 biopsies, lumpectomy 4 weeks and diagnosis of 8mm non invasive DCIS intermediate grade. Further surgery booked for 2 weeks then radiotherapy. And yes stopped my HRT. Keep getting told you are lucky it’s been caught early and will be fine. I don’t feel lucky. I feel an emotional frightened mess. But feel I can’t complain as I am lucky compared to so many.

3 Likes

Hi Shilpa

Anybody receiving a cancer diagnosis, no matter if it’s early stage / non invasive is still a diagnosis and needs addressing with treatment. It’s all so relative and the emotions that follow are real. Don’t allow yourself to feel any guilt whatsoever. It’s a really scary time and lots to understand, decide upon, process and accept.

I hope you recover well from your surgery, and that you move forward in exactly the way you hope to :relaxed:

4 Likes

:heart: there are BCN Moving forward courses both online and in person that you can look into when and if you want too :heart: also spirit and soul equine therapy in Derbyshire, Macmillan used to fund 4 sessions at that if that’s something else you might want to try, Sarah the lady who owns and runs it is a Breast Cancer survivor herself :heart: :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx (Community Champion BCN Forum)

1 Like

Hi Ceerful50 - what a nice username :kissing_heart: sorry I just saw your response this morning.
Thank you for your message. Glad to say I am in a better place emotionally today. I start 15 sessions of radiotherapy tomorrow. It is a rollercoaster journey we are on. Have found talking to other women at my local Cancer coffee meet up really therapeutic.
I hope you are continuing to heal and are well and cheerful. Much love :heartpulse:

4 Likes

How’s radiation going? Hope all are well. I too have non-invasive DCIS, microcalfications area too large so mastectomy suggested. Don’t think I’ll have radiation unless onco type score. Wondering is waiting an extra month for a doctor that seems like you would like is worth waiting or “the sooner the better” with a surgeon you don’t specifically pick out but is good. Thanks