DCIS watch and wait approach

I have been recently diagnosed with DCIS (intermediate grade) and I want to hear from anyone who adopted the watch and wait approach and find out how they have progressed and what it entails - frequency of mammograms etc and if there was any change in their condition

Hello Jessc

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence you may like to phone our helpline where you can talk to a member of staff. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hello Jess

I have heard of ladies taking this approach if they had a small area of low grade dcis and were post menopause. I have dcis but was not offered  watchful waiting as a plan and to be honest I am not sure I would have accepted it. I will be having yearly mammos for the next five years and will then join the normal nhs screening system of three yearly mammograms.

Hopefully someone will be on the forum who went down that path and can advise.

I fit the description mentioned by Pinky3: small area of low-grade DCIS, and I’m post-menopausal.  Suggested to surgeon that we should wait and see, but he rejected this approach out of hand. I’m scheduled for surgery but not convinced it’s really necessary.  There is a trial recently started where they are going to randomly select half of the participants for surgery; the rest will be ‘actively monitored’.  I cannot believe this trial would have got the go-ahead if active monitoring was not an acceptable alternative to surgery.  Has anyone had experience of such an approach?

Hi, I got my results xmas eve after mastectomy 4th dec. I was not convinced about surgery for intermediate DCIS as diagonosed from biopsies. Results showed areas of high grade and papillary carcinoma in situ and 7cm in total. As my previous mammogram 3 years previously had shown only a small spattering of calcifications that required no follow up or interventions I now know I made the right decision. As it had grown that much in 3 years and areas were high grade I am now of the belief it was highly likely it would have become invasive. I look forward to the day when research has discovered which of us would definitely go on to develop invasive breast cancer thus saving drastic surgical intervention. X